The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

The new fads are epidemiology and snitch tagging.

I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of social supporter. These people were never really into sport to begin with but when rugby was so pervasive at its height in popularity it was another casual topic of conversation for them. One where they could not be outed for lack of understanding as rugby commentary only dealt with superlatives and made up phrases that seemed like an in joke for the rugby fraternity.

2 Likes

I’d disagree a lot of the younger lads who have gone through academies believe they are above playing club. They only see themselves play for the provisional team. There are a few exceptions.

Pro rugby in this country lost the run of itself in the last few years, keeping up with th Jones in the England and France in order to keep key stars is killing them now. The likes of sexton and Murray on massive money is weighing the union down. No player should be on €500k a year. You could have 3 or 4 players for that.

Rugby pulled off the greatest marketing coup in modern times over the past 25 years or so. You have hit the nail on the head though besides that.

5 years on, @Tim_Riggins theory is going to be put to the ultimate test

Agreed but it doesn’t have the same debt obligations or running costs so is better prepared to ride this one out.

1 Like

It has plenty of debt obligations around the country. More than enough to concern any of us. Provincial Councils, GDA’s, stadium expansions, loans to clubs, county officers, player expenses across 32 counties and beyond, the overseas units.

Don’t fool yourself, the GAA needs its income, and needs it quick.

I think the IRFU missed a big trick in the medium to long term by taking the Heineken Cup off free to air tv. I appreciate that some games are still available between TV3 and Channel 4 but they had a captive audience for this competition at a time when not much else is happening in the sporting world on sleepy Saturday afternoons and evenings in November, December and January.

Would be interesting to see what the viewing figures for a Munster or Leinster European match shown exclusively on Sky are now compared to previously.

2 Likes

You seem to be glossing over the fact that the gaa is amateur fortunately. If it had tried to go professional it would have gone the way of professional club rugby and the AIL.

4 Likes

Very true. I have found recent games without the crowd terrible to watch. The 2 recent club hurling games on tv have on the other hand been very exciting to watch. Who would have thought club hurling would be trumping top rugby games.

I don’t think they will. They’ll pile back in I reckon, for a while at least.

It just depends on the game.
The big problem rubby has is the unnatural and unaccountable sway the referee can have on a game

1 Like

That there will be an inter county GAA championship this year is down to government funding (a loan ??).

This is probably “bread and circus “ stuff.

The GAA needs dosh and fast . If this runs in to next year there will be real problems .

Maybe it does but I don’t see any gaa clubs collapsing over the covid crisis. Maybe the top brass in gaa will collapse but won’t affect the clubs on the ground.

You dont know though. We dont know how overstretched some Clubs were going into this.

And there will be no Croke Park to bail them out this time.

I doubt it mate. County teams will struggle for funding but most clubs will be fine. I didn’t hear of any clubs struggling.

Keeping Amateurism is one of the best descions the gaa have ever made. Imagine if they had to pay players without gate receipts. Debts and loans can be pushed out, people need their wages weekly/monthly

The arsehole fell out of many clubs in the last recession and needed to be bailed out by the top table. Did you hear about them struggling before the ice started to crack around them?

This has shown that professionalism in the GAA can and will never be. The likes of Paul Flynn has been awfully fucking quiet of late. The prick.

1 Like

Yeah I see that. Clubs incomes have dried up but I have also seen resurgence in county draws and lottos etc. I think GAA supporters are never shy from dipping into their pockets and helping clubs/county boards out financially. Tyrone CB managed to raise ÂŁ5.5m to fund centre of excellence albeit they are a large county but Roscommon are relatively small and are able to raise huge sums of money through club Rossie. County boards are nearly becoming like enterprise boards . Wexford have lead the way but Tipperary are not far behind. Tipp CB have raised huge sums of money through weekend passes and streaming services.

All the clubs need to do is stop paying mileage to each others ex players to coach.

3 Likes

You are talking about County set ups, and they will not be let perish.

But if a GAA Club came to melooking to be bailed out, be I a supporter, local businessman or GAA representative, the first thing I would ask is when and how much have you been paying managers over the past 5 years.

If the answer was what I suspected it to be, they’d get little or fucking nothing off me.

1 Like