The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

Agreed and was a lot of talk of rugby taking over in rural Ireland, their was never a chance of that.

There are many local rubby clubs to support but there’s no glamour or social media likes to be attained by doing so

Where?

How many rugby clubs in the likes of Cavan, Leitrim or Sligo?

No rugby clubs in fenian areas of the north.

1 Like

Who said that ??

No one.

I didn’t know you were referring to specific areas. There are three amateur rugby clubs within a 30 minute drive of me. I have never been to a game

Sligo have a senior club and all. Produced a few Pro players, Stephen Keirins with Connacht and I believe there’s a fella playing Super rugby in NZ

1 Like

Open societies cater for all and every sport — bigoted and closed off societies dont.

1 Like

No hurling in those counties either but the game still flourishes.

Incorrect

Leitrim played in Croke park only a couple of years ago

And Carrick on Shannon have a rugby team. In fact all 3 of the named counties have teams Still wouldnt say the sport is really played there, same as hurling

Strabane has a 90% Catholic population and has a rugby club.

Omagh has a 70% Catholic population and has a rugby club.

Dungannon has a 65% Catholic population and has a rugby club

expand

What? Tyrone has rubby clubs??? give over?

Think there’s 3 in Armagh - Armagh, Lurgan and Portadown - all populations of 10k plus. Portadown is a protestant town and Armagh and Lurgan are fairly evenly split.

5 in Tyrone - Dungannon, Cookstown, Omagh, Fivemiletown and Strabane - bar Fivemiletown (proddy) these are all towns with population of 10k+. Dungannon and Cookstown have very sizable proddy populations circa 40%. Omagh has probably a 30% proddy population. Strabane is very nationalist but the rural areas that surround it are very protestant.

There’s 6 in Derry but they’re pretty much all concentrated around the Limavady/Coleraine/Portrush - again a very Protestant area.

1 in Fermanagh in Enniskillen with a sizable Protestant minority. So you’re looking at 14-15 rugby clubs in the nationalist counties in the north who would have a population in excess of 500k.

It appears mainly Fenian areas do have rubby clubs, although it was previously claimed otherwise by @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

Tyrone is a big rubby area.

1 Like

There’s a good rugby club in Sligo, a decent standard of junior hurling and decent football.

Tyrone is rubby country