The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

No that’s true. The Vincentian chose to keep Castleknock private and make Pauls free.

And? Free education was announced in 1967. A rake of schools joined in 1968 for that reason.

I would like that answer as well.

Shocking snobbery from this cunt.

There is alot of that nonsense out of privately educated lads though. Usually just bravado/banter etc. Not with this cunt though.

Keith Wood went to a free school

He did. He kept saying that.

Pretty sure Wood was a border in Munchins

1 Like

To think you managed it all by yourself for nothing :grinning:

2 Likes

:scream:

horrible post

Even the city of culture committee admitting Munster PLC is on the rocks.

2 Likes

Thought that myself

Isnt a Munster stadium in Cork sponsored by the Indo

Hmmm :no_mouth:

He was.

He said he was and a bunch of other Munster players went there since - Conor Murray possibly being one? He gave the impression that Munchins was free.

It is…but it used to have fee paying students also who were provided with board.

His family home would have been a 150 metre walk from the old Secondary School in Killaloe. The family paid for him and his brothers to board inside

I see Limerick has made Paulie a Doctor, what an honour for its most famous son*.

• Aside from Joe McKenna.
1 Like

doing the rounds on social media…

As the full time whistle went in Cardiff at the end of Ireland’s humiliating defeat to a vastly superior Argentina side, I couldn’t help but allow myself a wry smile. I thought to myself I won’t be shedding any tears (especially for the benefit of a camera) for the Irish rugby fraternity and their hypocrisy and double standards, amongst other things.

From a playing perspective the Northern Hemisphere sides have been found out and exposed as cumbersome battering rams. Ball handling skills have been cast aside in favour of American Football style brawn. The size of British and Irish props and other forwards has become laughable. I lost count of the number of matches I watched where I saw another entire front row replaced by fellahs clambering onto the pitch, barely able to walk, let alone run. Of course, according to the rugby bores, these are real men, right? So, is this now how we judge ‘real men’ in a sporting context nowadays? That they’re 6 ft. 4 and weigh 18 or 19 stone? And struggle to run?

Unless there’s a change in attitude amongst the Northern Hemisphere Unions, rugby in these parts will go the same way as American Football, if it hasn’t already. At least the NFL have finally sat up and taken notice. According to various academic studies, an American Footballer has an average life expectancy of somewhere between 54 and 59 – a line-backer (American Football’s equivalent of a front row forward) has an even shorter life expectancy. There is a very high rate of suicide amongst ex professionals, simply because of the hits these players have taken during the career and the subsequent affects on their body and brain. Is this the type of future rugby wants for their players? Because if the current trends of northern hemisphere rugby continues that’s what lies in store a generation from now.

In sport, just as in life, you normally reap what you sow. The Ireland France game saw a full on collision sport played out in the customary brutal fashion of modern day Northern Hemisphere rugby. The chickens came home to roost less than a week later when both sides, battered and bruised, were given a lesson by leaner, more athletic and explosive sides who had not forsaken the basic skills of rugby such as ball handling, offloading and yes, speed and running – imagine that!

Of course the rugby ‘club’ mentality was very visible the past month or so, backed up by their flag wavers in the media. Football may be the game of the people (just ask George Hook) but rugby is the game of the snooty professional classes and the media. Rosy cheeked gents wearing moleskin trousers tell us footballers are overpaid. The reason footballers are so well paid, in comparison to their rugby counterparts, is because of the insatiable worldwide demand for live soccer. Man Utd v anybody fills bars from Oslo to Bangkok - Leinster v Zebre does not. TV companies fall over themselves to offer billions for the next football TV deal because market forces demand it. That’s why football is so cash rich. Outside of the old British colonies, and one or two other outposts, nobody really cares about the 6 nations, the rugby championship or the charade of a rugby world cup, a competition where I can confidently name the 8 quarter finalists for the next 2/3/4/5 rugby world cups by using the exact same names. How exciting.

Rugby and its players are also protected by a different set of sporting morals and ethic s in comparison to GAA and, in particular, soccer players. If Wayne Rooney or Diego Costa had done what Sean O’Brien did in the French game they would have been hammered in both the British and Irish media. Everything from their upbringing to their character and personality would be questioned and criticised. Not so for the big dairy farmer. Strange that. Not that it’s O’Brien’s fault but you would wonder why he was described on numerous occasions as unlucky. He was actually quite lucky. Had that happened in the soccer world cup (and I well aware of soccer’s ills and problems) he would have been banned for the rest of the tournament. But it strikes me as strange that different rules, in the eyes of the media anyway, should apply to someone who plays rugby for Leinster as opposed to someone who originally comes from a council house in Liverpool.

Rugby, of all sports, hates to be questioned – especially by pesky outsiders. However, it needs to improve its product, long term player welfare and standards (especially in the Northern Hemisphere). It can start to do so by climbing down from that smug and condescending high moral ground the game and its fans inhabit.

5 Likes

The rugby goons are light years behind here… Still sending kids off to the gym at 15 to bulk up, forcing protein and creatine into him to get big. It is all gonna end in tears.

We’re doing something right, another attack from the chippy association football community. Don’t worry chaps, you have a few months of the Irish media salivating over foreign association football stars before turning their attention to domestic Irish sport stars competing on the big international stage in the RBS Six Nations.