The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

You said you’ve given me plenty of them.

That’s a lie, you haven’t.

No it wasn’t. Real Madrid drew 127k for their Glasgow final in 1960. The following year to that Celtic final Ajax and Panathinaikos got 83k to Wembley. It was mediocre, not quite as bad as 1969 but poor.

So it appears that the most popular sport in the world gets a larger crowd at a European final than a minority one. Incredible scenes. I would have as little time for Munster Rugby™ as the next man, but the rugbyphobe brigade would drive you anti-anti rugby.

4 Likes

They’re all impressive attendances for the era. I dare say a lot of the Celtic support which made up the 130k+ attendance against Leeds in 1970 were present for the 1960 final.

1 Like

They were trying to flog tickets to the premier event of European club rugby football days before the game started.

1956 final
1961 final
1963 final
1966 final
1969 final
1970 final
1971 final

I’ll move into the 70s and 80s then if you want.

You protest too much. I’d say you’re only dying for the age old Leinster-Munster rivalry to be renewed in the Pro 12 final.

Move into the last 15 years, good lad.

i asked him last night

he said he was looking into it

1 Like

I couldn’t really give a shite about the Provinces. A return of 10-20k at Limerick AIL derbies would be a welcome sight though.

no mate, most sports get big crowds for its showpiece final, not just football,

rogbee cant though even when its in one of the competitors home country

lolz

1 Like

:clap:

As I said before, Limerick is the only county in Ireland where there’s a crossover of hardcore GGA and rubby men.

1 Like

I gave an answer here.

Last years final had 71,942 in a 80k capacity stadium. The 2001 final had a UEFA announced 79k attendance.

The San Siro hasn’t changed in capacity.

That’s all I know.

Considering the match was in doubt up to a couple of days before hand due to massive industrial unrest in Northern Italy in 1970 including all the staff in the San Siro being on strike, 53k was an impressive attendance.
No mention of the 136k that attended the 2nd leg of the semi final against Leeds of course.

A quick glance at the five nations from 1970 shows 40,000 attended the Scotland- France game at Murrayfield, a stadium that could hold over 100,000 people at the time.

7 Likes

i think i asked which wasnt a sell out mate

OMFG

HEADSHOT

2 Likes

Gas cunts

1 Like

You can draw your own conclusions mate.

There were less there than 2001 in the exact same stadium.

What’s your excuse for 1969 mate?

32k in a 125k stadium.

@Tim_Riggins , can you throw up the attendances of the age old Munster - Leinster rivalry in the early and mid 90’s please?

Specifically when they met in Dooradoyle, the home ground of Garryowen rugby football club, on midweek days?

1 Like