The Anti-Rugby Football Thread

Incorrect. I’ve entered the ticket ballots for the last 10 or so European finals and not been successful yet.

We’ve already been informed that a final of late didn’t sell out.

Yes, but having half the cunts banned from attending football matches would offset that.

There were 125k applicants for 10,500 tickets on public sale. That would have filled the Rugby final twice over at the weekend.

You gave a list of the finals in the 60’s that didn’t sell out and compared it to its rugby equivalent this year. Apples and oranges.

We have an account that the 2008 final couldn’t sell out.

It’s football’s issue that they have to segregate fans, goes with the territory. Behaving like apes for a couple of hours is most of the enjoyment for football, part of to sellng point.

Chelsea returned tickets in 2008 and the ground wasn’t full- not a sell out.

Shame you weren’t supporting Chelsea a few years back so, you’d have had no problem picking up a brief.

3 Likes

We have an eyewitness accounts from @Mullach_Ide that the 2008 final in Moscow didn’t sell out.

The only experience I have myself of the blue riband event in European club soccer was the 1992 final at Wembley when it was about 10,000 shy of a full house. Second division Sunderland and Liverpool packed Wembley out the previous week for the FA Cup Final.

I responded to someone going on about “flogging” of tickets. It’s laughable when back in 1969 for example, the Bernabeu was 1/4 full for a European Cup final.

It’s funny as well people moaning about drawing parallels when they won’t afford the same for rugby football. Professional rugby football is just over 20 years old. It’s only building up- clubs like Saracens and Wasps are basically start up franchises.

So we have European finals from the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s as confirmed non sell outs. The cheek of the boys giving it large on here about the nascent professional club rugby competition when they had 50 plus years of professionalism before they had a European competition themselves.

2 Likes

Moscow is a notorious spot for football violence, the one spot where Irish supporters have had bother.

its over 20 years old mate

There was no Irish team in the 2008 final in Moscow. Chelsea, who are and were in 2008, owned by a Russian were in the final.

1 Like

Yes that’s very young in competition terms.

:grinning:

looks like there has never been a sell out

also looks like its only de tick oirish that take it seriously

Be interesting to see how many of the bumper finals had a Mick team in the semi final who bought up a large chunk of tickets thinking they would be in the final - just like the weekend just gone.

So you don’t agree that Moscow is an unsafe place for football supporters?

Fantastic excuse, Britain’s football fans have a long history of cowering in the face of violence sure.

All the excuses being rolled out here but we have it definitively that numerous finals from the 50s to the 00s didn’t sell out.