The Arsenal Football Club Thread

I have a new pet hate.

It’s not the club per se, rather the way the media fawns all over them and how pundits get so ridiculoulsy wet and slip off their seats when they talk about them.

I’m not denying they knock the ball around imaginatively at times but that’s the point - they don’t do it all the time and their record isn’t such that they warrant all this praise.

I don’t think they’ve won anything in Europe in the last decade and if they were that good they would have done. Similarly they haven’t had a run of successive league titles in England that would consititute domination in their domestic league. AFAIK they’ve won 3 leagues under Wenger in 11 years and never 2-in-a-row.

I look at them this season and they’ve dished out a few hidings to scheidt teams but now they’re without Fabregas and things aren’t flowing for them at all. Even with him I don’t think they’ll last the pace this season in Europe or in England because they’re nowhere near as good as everybody makes out.

Sure they were excellent early on in the season when they were thumping Derby 6-0 and Slavia Prague 7-0. But frankly they remind me of a mad bastard who arrives over to a house party at about 6pm when nobody other than the people organising it are there.

He then starts firing tequila and all other manner of shots in him from the get go and is going fooking mental within an hour. As everyone starts to arrive they comment on what great laugh yer man is as he’s going nuts throwing the drink into him and rampaging around the house.

A few people remark that they haven’t seen anyone that mad at a party ever and he might even be the maddest person they’ve ever seen. Then it hits about 10pm and you look over and the mad fook’s passed out and asleep in the corner, not even half-way through the night.

He’s not a mad bastard after all and that my dear friends is Arsenal.

Nice analogy there Bandage, what a loser though. Falling asleep at 10. Shocking.

Man Utd are like me rampage all through the night/early morning and then burn the house down.

On the subject of Fabregas, I think I said before on another thread if they could keep him fit they could last the pace. Evidently they cannot last without him. Sunday will show a lot of what they’re made of.

Just informed Tinnion of that rant so no doubt he’ll be on to defend the club that ‘he’s not good enough to support’

I must say that I find it sickening to see, particularly the RTE lads, blow their load over Arsenal. Like you said Bandage they have done nothing over the last two seasons and somehow they are the greatest club in the world. Liverpool on the other hand have finished above Arsenal the last two seasons and any win they have is constituted as a fluke

Fook right off

farmerinthecity wrote:

I must say that I find it sickening to see, particularly the RTE lads, blow their load over Arsenal. Like you said Bandage they have done nothing over the last two seasons and somehow they are the greatest club in the world. Liverpool on the other hand have finished above Arsenal the last two seasons and any win they have is constituted as a fluke

Fook right off

Liverpool’s wins are indeed considered a fluke Farmer, mostly cos they’re shit. They are one of the most ungambleable teams around because of their shocking inconsistency. United, Arsenal and Chelsea all have form whereas Liverpool conjure randomly shocking/decent performances. You can talk all your bollocks about finishing third but Liverpool have failed to get anywhere near a league title in the last15 years and don’t look like ending that run anytime soon.

Roll on a Marseilles victory.

There’s no real points there Juhniallio - only a lot of hot air (speaking of which I have just let off some hot air of my own - good job no one is around)

Yes Liverpool haven’t come near to winning the league in the last 15 years. Accepted. I wouldn’t rule them out this year though. We will take United on Sunday. My point is the same as Bandage’s whereby Arsenal haven’t done anything to deserve the adulation they are receiving in the media. Dunphy was saying at the start of the season that they will be nothing without Henry and now he says that it was inspired management getting rid of him.

Liverpool won a close match last week against a good Porto team mainly thanks to a moment of brilliance from Torres and not a word about it afterwards only that they fluked it. Not even praise for Torres. Fook them.

farmerinthecity wrote:

There’s no real points there Juhniallio - only a lot of hot air (speaking of which I have just let off some hot air of my own - good job no one is around)

Yes Liverpool haven’t come near to winning the league in the last 15 years. Accepted. I wouldn’t rule them out this year though. We will take United on Sunday. My point is the same as Bandage’s whereby Arsenal haven’t done anything to deserve the adulation they are receiving in the media. Dunphy was saying at the start of the season that they will be nothing without Henry and now he says that it was inspired management getting rid of him.

Liverpool won a close match last week against a good Porto team mainly thanks to a moment of brilliance from Torres and not a word about it afterwards only that they fluked it. Not even praise for Torres. Fook them.

Liverpool shall not take United this sunday. United shall tear the pool defence asunder while Stevie G attempts killer ball after killer ball. Stevie G will then show his frustration by commiting an atrocious foul on someone. My reasoning goes something like this… Our defence is better. Our midfield is better. Our attack is better. And we’ll probably play our best team. You will play a team based on random events such as the weather and the toss of a coin.

I am reminded of that Antrim hurling manager (Eddie something from Tipperary I think - Cahill) a few years ago who, going into a game against Cork, basically said that Cork are shite and Antrim were going to beat them. Cork then gave them an unmerciful hiding.

Talk it up as much as you want Juhniallio but we’ll see on Sunday.

PS - I hate Manchester United

Yes, we will farmer, on sunday we shall see. The mighty(and well rested) Man Utd shall breach the filth breeding scum citadel that is Anfield and shall stroll to a casual victory. You shall see Ronaldo at his showboating best and the fearsome tenacious might of Tevez and Rooney shall harass ye in a constant manner.

No point beating about the bush Farmer. No better gloating than pregloating and I’ve got five more days of this. And I’ll crank it up a notch if ye fuck up tonight.

Dinny Cahill I do believe.

Leitrim people talking about hurling as if they know anything about it is nearly embarrassing as Leitrim people talking about football or hygiene for similar reasons.

It’s actually Davie Cahill you fat fook

farmerinthecity wrote:

Eh, no it’s not.

Bandage wrote:

farmerinthecity wrote:

[quote]It’s actually Davie Cahill you fat fook

That’s what I said you big, tall freak. Learn to read please.[/quote]

You actually went to the trouble of editing it.

I didn’t think that it was possible to drop further in my estimation but you have.

The edit was for a misspelling of ‘hygiene’. Can’t believe you’re digging such an incredibly big hole for yourself.

farmerinthecity wrote:

Thought it was Dinny Cahill, no?

Maybe you should have changed the quotes as well where I mention Dinny Cahill

Catch up Rock

I see Farmer is swinging the verbals at everyone on this thread as well. You’re a fairly angry abusive fella today Farmer.

Farmer, you were wrong and I caught you out.

Then you even more embarrassingly were wrong for a second time having tried to correct me.

Just let it go, apologise and then we can all move on.

Juhniallio wrote:

I see Farmer is swinging the verbals at everyone on this thread as well. You’re a fairly angry abusive fella today Farmer.

Jaysus Juhniallio I was only tryinng to have a bit of banter with you. Relax.

The traditional Farmer back down is now underway.

I’m not backing down anywhere.

I’m disappointed that Juhniallio can’t see that I was only having the craic instead of thinking that I’m ‘angry and abusive’.