The Ashes 2013 - Part I

What a fucking knock from Agar. Sensational stuff.

Is Fawad Ahmed in the Australian team?

http://www.qt.com.au/news/cricket-australia-calls-fawad-ahmed-ashes-squad/1899129/

sid, are you listening to Test Match Speacial on Longwave BBC radio 4?
ive been listening ( online) since just after the shipping forecast when Tea was taken at Trent Bridge.
I must say this is cracking listening, the ball by ball coverage here is phenomenal
The current session sees Henry Bloefeld describing the proceedings in the company of Phil Tufnell and Glenn MacGrath,
Blofeld’s commentary and description of the scene is something sublime, to qoute wiki “he has established a reputation as a commentator with an accent, vocabulary and syntax that was quintessentially Old Etonian both in style and substance”
Johnaton Agnew has entered the fray now and sounds like he has been slugging wine in the afternoon sun. The knowledge of these guys is incredible and how the fill the lulls in play with some wonderful anectdotes is superb.
ill be drinking leisurely cans on the balconey tomorrow afternoon after pre season training in the morning to take in day 3

Snicko isn’t part of the DRS process yet because it takes too long to set up. The side-on HotSpot was missing though. Apparently the reason for this is that they were preparing it for the previous ball in case Root reviewed his decision, and HotSpot can’t play and record at the same time. Therefore, it wasn’t recording Trott’s ball.

Erasmus had a bit of a nightmare. You could potentially argue that if Trott had been given out that there wasn’t quite enough evidence to overturn that as there was no HotSpot. However, to overturn a not out decision when the naked eye seemed to suggest an inside edge is ludicrous. As well as this, Agar should have been out stumped on six. Absolutely ludicrous decision not to give it, he never got his foot back behind the line.

That’s not to detract from Agar’s performance though. Just watched the highlights there and some of the shots he played were just sensational. Gave a very good interview at the end of play too. To allow myself slip into Ray Wilkins mode for a moment, he seems like a very fine young man. Lehmann actually told him he was playing two days before the Test so he could tell his family and they’d have time to fly out.

Yet again, we have a very crucial first hour coming up. Cook and KP ground it out a bit in the final session, but the ball is fairly old now and if they see out the first hour, there should be runs there for them. A lot of rough developing, and Swann was getting some turn, huge spin on the Haddin wicket. Agar was having a decent enough battle with KP too. Anderson was getting some reverse too, so Starc will be looking for that with the older ball too.

[quote=“carryharry, post: 800314, member: 1517”]Is Fawad Ahmed in the Australian team?

http://www.qt.com.au/news/cricket-australia-calls-fawad-ahmed-ashes-squad/1899129/[/quote]
Think he’s been sent on the Australia A tour of South Africa, but might be called up for the last couple of Tests if necessary. They’ve done the same with Warner now.

Yes, nine. And two South Africans that have been living in England for around a decade.

A word for Ricky Ponting too, who finished his first class career with an unbeaten 169 saving a match for Surrey. Finished with 24,150 first class runs at 55.9. One of the four dominant batsmen in my time watching the game along with Lara, Tendulkar and Kallis. I don’t believe for a moment that the Aussie team wouldn’t be better off with him in it until the end of the next Ashes series. A small man, but a giant of the game. :clap:

Ah good-I understand they were starting to lose the run of themselves lately with all the Irish and South Africans in the team. Bad enough half their rugby team not being English.

Ouch. Have you wiped the egg off your face yet Manuel?

[quote=“mickee321, post: 800328, member: 367”]sid, are you listening to Test Match Speacial on Longwave BBC radio 4?
ive been listening ( online) since just after the shipping forecast when Tea was taken at Trent Bridge.
I must say this is cracking listening, the ball by ball coverage here is phenomenal
The current session sees Henry Bloefeld describing the proceedings in the company of Phil Tufnell and Glenn MacGrath,
Blofeld’s commentary and description of the scene is something sublime, to qoute wiki “he has established a reputation as a commentator with an accent, vocabulary and syntax that was quintessentially Old Etonian both in style and substance”
Johnaton Agnew has entered the fray now and sounds like he has been slugging wine in the afternoon sun. The knowledge of these guys is incredible and how the fill the lulls in play with some wonderful anectdotes is superb.
ill be drinking leisurely cans on the balconey tomorrow afternoon after pre season training in the morning to take in day 3[/quote]

The best programme on radio. Anywhere.

I pretty much never listen to the radio, but having seen some of Agnew’s articles on BBC website I’ve come to the conclusion that he knows bollocks all about the game.

[SIZE=13px][FONT=lucida grande]I got this beauty on my Faecesbook feed this morning: This is the worst batting collapse since I opened the order for Dublin University third xi v Bangor Grammar. Horrible to see. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote=“mickee321, post: 800328, member: 367”]sid, are you listening to Test Match Speacial on Longwave BBC radio 4?
ill be drinking leisurely cans on the balconey tomorrow afternoon after pre season training in the morning to take in day 3[/quote]

We need Blowers and Aggers more than ever now after the untimely demise of Stuart Hall.

I’m not sure what to add after that.

The DRS is a joke, I’ve always been against it, what arte umpires for? Umpire makes a decions, whether its right or wrong, accept it, get on with it.

Agar, fucking hell. Apparently he can bat and with some beautiful shots and technique. Hughes was excellent, a very mature knock from him. Hopefully this has emabarrassed the australian top order into performing. A few quick wickets first session day 3 and it could be a famous victory. But its going to be very very hard to get a few quick wickets on that deck.

Test match cricket :clap:

Indeed :clap:Very sorry to see him gone.

He’s really just the link man for the experts. They rotate the commentators throughout the day. Try it sometime.

There was a blind guy on Radio one [RTE] a few years ago who said he couldn’t live without the BBC world service as the highlight of his summer was listening to Test Match Cricket commentary on Five live. He hadn’t a clue about cricket or the rules but spent all day listening to boys wax lyrical and describe the action.

I’ve never listened myself but I understand its fantastic stuff all right.

Never listened to test match special but would listen to 5Live a good bit and it is an excellent station. Would normally put it on in the background on a Saturday afternoon over the winter rather than them odious cunts on Soccer Saturday.

Their morning/breakfast news show is quality as well

Geoffrey Boycott breathing a sigh of relief on Test Match Special as Alastair Cook gets a boundary. “Alastair Cook needed to score a run or two, or else he would have ended up getting himself out.”

Simon Mann has just taken over from Blowers on commentary and it’s just a quintessentially English summer day. Wonderful.

I like listening to Tuffers as well. A real character.