The ask Bandage about mortgages thread

What happens if you donā€™t accept? Will they cancel the mortgage

Cancel the offee of the rates. Presume will re offer something but since ecb has jist put up rates i want to get it sorted asap. At the moment we are on their variable which is 3.9! Difference of a few hundred quid a month

Remind me what your trying to do again?

Haven refixed my mortgage onto 2%green rate for 4 years with the minimum of fussā€¦ Even though I was still in a fixed rate. I heard nowt from them until I got a letter in post saying it was done

My mortfage is with ptsb. 3 yr fixed is up so now on crazy variable rate. Need to refix or change to different provider. Change proving difficult as it is bollock slow now. Broker said our application would be good for 2.35 haven 3yr fixed with 3grand cashback but they are still looking for more documentation and im worried that 2.35 mortgage will disappear and weā€™ll have wasted time as rates rise. As @Your_Mums_Athletic said, ptsb screw existing but no guarantee well be offered haven.

Iā€™d say hold tough until the 29th day with ptsb and see what happens. The 30 days is a regulatory piece they must stand over offerā€¦ Fixed rate isnā€™t directly tied to move up or down in ecb they will have ā€œboughtā€ this funding at a rate so can sell it at offered rate even if variable is movingā€¦ They might Jack it up all the same if they thought market would carry it

Iā€™m loathe to offer real life advice, but seeing you tagged meā€¦I think that PTSB 3% fixed 7-year rate SHOULD remain available for another while. As @gilgamboa alluded to in part of his ā€œwell Iā€™m alright Jack/@Juhniallio replyā€, these fuckers have already baked in these imminent ECB rate increases to a large degree. Iā€™d have this as the back-up option. Same applies to the 5-year green fixie with them.

3.9% variable while getting all this sorted is a pain in the hole alright, but I think Iā€™d still try to get the 2.35% lowest Haven option. If you think of that 3% rate as ā€œparā€ then these early round variable rate bogeys should be more than compensated for by the Haven birdies and eagles from around hole number 5 onwards. But really be dogmatic/persistent in chasing documentation, uploading whatever documents you need as soon as you get them, hounding people for replies, to move the process on etc.

If itā€™s going absolutely nowhere with Haven after another month or two then Iā€™d probably lock in one of the PTSB rates.

2 Likes

With that in mind Do you think thereā€™s much chance the likes of BOI changing their fixed rates by end of August ?

No idea tbhā€¦ Aib less likely due to state ownership piece

1 Like

Thanks @Bandage i was irked by @gilgamboaā€™s smug as fuck reply alright.

3 Likes

Sorry pal. If only youā€™d got moving on this a bit quicker youā€™d be sorted now

3 Likes

You were already a customer and just needed a valuation hence the ease of the process for you. @Juhniallio is moving from another provider, he is self employed which adds another level of difficulty due to covid. @Juhniallio i can give you a ball when I am back from holidays if you want to assist moving this forward. Is it a local broker you have used?

3 Likes

That would be savage. Ta.

10 years without a payment. And sheā€™s still in the house.

And people wonder why interest rates are higher here than the rest of Europe while at the same time these higher rates are not attracting new competitive entrants :joy:

15 Likes

She changed a cheque for ā‚¬6,948 which had been made out to the Revenueā€™s Collector General, instead making it payable to herself, and cashed it at a bank in Kilkenny.

So someone made out a cheque to the Collector General, Caitriona drew a line through the payee and wrote in her own name, initialled the alteration TUM (as you would) and some ape of a bank teller in Kilkenny peeled out almost ā‚¬7k In shekels. Any wonder the Banks collapsed with planks like that behind the counter. Bizarreā€¦ā€¦

9 Likes

Cc @glasagusban

Itā€™s true. I have no great feeling on the matter, but if itā€™s nigh impossible to remove someone from a house on which they donā€™t keep up payments, despite the house being security on the loan, the lenders in general will have to mitigate this with higher premiums in general.
Motor insurance is similar, as is business insurance. The claims system is laughable, and abetted by a judiciary so wealthy that staggering sums seem trifling.

1 Like

Yep. If you make any small effort to engage youā€™d be able to stay in the house forever. The Banks offloaded loads of these loans but didnā€™t get a great price for this exact reason.

I wonder if there could be any reason the bank didnā€™t move to repossess the house ten year ago?

None so blind as those that cannot see