The Beatles thread

The opposite of that, they had disappeared by the time I was coming upā€¦ We had grunge in one corner or Rave and gangster rap in the other. The Beatles early stuff is akin to Westlife today, but thereā€™s still something innocent and likeable ā€¦ I suppose it captured a time and it did lead to an explosion of bands in the UK but thereā€™s some garbage in the mix alright, it was a sellout. But from Rubber Soul and Revolver they take off. I was obsessed for a couple of years when 20/21 but havenā€™t listened to anything at length in a few years.

Could you get Radio Luxembourg in Kilmallock? The signal was patchy enough in Waterford.

It was ok in the evenings after 9-10pm. Youā€™d have to point the radio towards GaltyMor though.

I have never much been taken by the Beatles. But there is an acknowledgment there that I may be missing out on something.

I have to admit that my entry into The Beatles was actually via Oasis. By the summer of 95, I was 13 and obsessed with Oasis. They were always talking about The Beatles in interviews etc. Of course I was familiar with some of the earlier stuff at that stage, but I picked up Abbey Road on cassette that summer during our holidays in Wexford. The Anthology series in the mid 90s was the next part of the initiation and then I started getting the individual albums. Revolver hit me straight away; others took a bit more time (White Album). Iā€™d say I havenā€™t listened to an Oasis album in full since the summer of 1997 when they released that shite Be Here Now, but Iā€™ve spent many the day listening to Beatles records in the intervening years.

7 Likes

The anthology series is greatā€¦ The Love album in recent years was enjoyable also.

1 Like

Have you watched any of this new doc? Fascinating stuff.
Paul is fuckin gifted but fairly dominating at times. Ringo just goes with the flow on everything :laughing:

I remember i played ā€œBe Here Nowā€ once and never picked it up again.

Half way through the first episode and couldnā€™t agree more. Paul is the boss.

I vaguely remember RTE playing the ā€œLet it Beā€ film after John Lennon died. I thought it was shite.

That was a very good decision.

Myself and a friend rang each other the day it came out. Had a chat about some of the merits of it. By the end of the conversation, we both agreed that it was not particularly good, no matter how much we tried to convince ourselves that it was.

1 Like

Iā€™d have had Don down as more of a Perry Como man myself.

No, not yet. Waiting for it to drop on IPTV. cc @Copper_pipe

I have the Anthology series on DVD somewhere but I canā€™f find the fucker.

Added a few hours ago Iā€™m told

3 Likes

Bang has it also

1 Like

The White Album is their best by some distance imo. I like Revolver and Abbey Road too. SP criminally overrated .

As Fagan mentioned Something above I have to say the Harrison songs are my favourites too.

Their lead single from it was decent I thought.

The Harrison songs grow on you over time.