The Beatles thread

1 Like

Yoko looks cool as fuck in fairness.

One for Iā€™d say in her day

This was the introduction to the Beatles for many children. It put me off for a long long time.

I still donā€™t listen to much of them, but do have Norwegian wood and a day in the life on playlist.

Freakish how fast they put together some of their best tunes on this

2 Likes

That and the sheer volume of songs they were working on. Almost all the songs from Let It Be and Abbey Road are featured, both of which were recorded later in 1969. They were also working on solo material, All Things Must Pass, Plastic Ono Band and McCartney were all released in 1970 and several songs are featured, along with Gimmie Some Truth from Imagine in 1971. Tons of covers as well.
The whole thing is fascinating, started watching part 2 last night.

1 Like

Itā€™s like watching Da Vinci paint.

If you are born after 1970 these songs always existed and yet they didnā€™t. Somebody had to pluck them from their imagination and talent and sculpt them.

Get Back being written is brilliant

Itā€™s so intimate. The love and respect Ringo has for Paul is brilliant

3 Likes

I tried to watch it but only got 5 mins inā€¦ I heard Lennon strumming the cords to Jealous Guy Iā€™m sure

2 Likes

Yep, an early version of it that he wrote in 1968 called Child of Mature. Lennon is very detached in most of what Iā€™ve seen so far, Yoko and himself were six months into heroin addiction at that stage.

My wan wants to watch this with meā€¦ I suppose Iā€™ll get to see it by April

Watched the first episode. I thought it was really good, but I wonder whether it would keep a more casual viewer engaged. The episodes are quite long and I definitely think having a fair bit of background knowledge would help.

Obviously the Beatles are massive and people do have that knowledge, but I donā€™t know if itā€™s for everyone. I thought it was really interesting though.

Just finished part 2, much better than part 1. Lennon is more involved and quite funny, they moved to their new Apple studio from the dreadful film studio of the first part so the atmosphere is better. Billy Preston is also a nice addition.

The roady Mal, didnā€™t know about him. Shot mistakenly by LA cops for brandishing an air gun in 1975 aged 40.

Had an awful tough life that descended into chaos

Watched an hour of it. Say thatā€™ll be it for me. Canā€™t imagine watching another 6 hours of it. Dull as fuck.

Peter Jackson has a habit of tearing the arse out of things.

Also didnā€™t know much about him. Seems like good craic in the footage; sounds like they fucked him over a bit though in terms of pay despite playing a pretty important role.

Iā€™m not surprised they fucked him over tbh, I heard they could be mean like that.

The way Lennon treats Harrison when George is introducing a new song in the first episode, very condescending. Heā€™s thin as fuck too (Lennon), must have been the heroin. Same clothes on him day in, day out. Though I havenā€™t finished the first part yetā€¦

Itā€™s well-known that both John & Paul looked down on George as a songwriter, but yeah, John was very snide.

Thatā€™s why George had the best post-Beatles solo album, I suppose, had less of his good material used.

2 Likes

Yes at one stage John says of a song by George ā€œis this another Harrisongā€. It was quite cutting. The song was All Things Must Pass the title song to Georges debut album which is very highly regarded.

1 Like