The Best/Worst Place to Live in Ireland?

There was a poster on AFR called “longlad Seamus”. Some mong asked him once “are you really from Longford”?

@Bandage have you ever been to Magheracloone?

A cautionary word of advice here @Bandage. This is one to avoid. It’s more of an “occupied territory” than anything else.
I played with Carrick Emmets back there in the 60’s…Magheracloone folk/footballers had a serious chip against their urban betters. Looking back on life 50 years later, the theme/music from “Deliverance” fits the bill…

@Chucks_Nwoko is possibly from Donoghmoyne or one of those other heartlands…

He’s an avowed Scotstown man iirc

The board’s sole Scotstown representative, despite some outlandish claims from @Sidney.

Any time we went down for a match, they’d be sitting on the church wall smoking as we walked past. A few of them kicked the habit before U-15s rolled around. They had these fringes too, (I’m not sure if they were widespread in other isolated parts of Ireland) but these fringes,fuckin hell, one lad said he’d choke me with his fringe if I went near the ball.

The following link paints a good picture of Magheracloone;

http://flickriver-lb-1710691658.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com/places/Ireland/Monaghan/Magheracloone/

2 Likes

Best: Anywhere in Galway south of the City to Ballinasloe line.

Worst: Anywhere else.

2 Likes

I fear Tamsin Rose has a few bodies buried in that haybarn :fearful:. Is yer man in the second last photo locking her in there?

She doesn’t look like she’d be the best ride of your life, but she certainly might be the last.

I’ve (been) driven past their GAA grounds on the way for a nice stroll in Dún na Rí or afternoon tea in Cabra Castle but I’ve never set foot in the village/town/townland itself.

Avoid Magheracloone lads

Imagine if you were from Monaghan, the shame,wouldn’t you just wish the ground would open up and swallow… etc etc.

1 Like

Unreal. I pass by Magheracloone if I’m heading from CMX to Dun na Ri forest park or for a bite to eat in Cabra Castle. Magheracloone is, of course, home of the former Monaghan players Tommy and Damien Freeman.

Are Border Region TV undertaking some sort of covert operation photographing GGA grounds?

That soil doesn’t look either Stony or Grey. Can be be sure it’s really Monaghan?

Club football in Ulster has finally descended into trench warfare

Tipp town or Shannon have to be up there with the worst… as well as most towns in Tipp and Laois/Offaly.

1 Like

Tipp town died the day the tampon factory closed. The lifeblood drained out of it.

4 Likes

its certainly been a depressing period since then.

1 Like

Was replacement therapy made available?