The bored thread

I think everybody is worn out.

Just got a phone call earlier that I might be able to get stuck into the local GAA club outside work next week, Happy days👍I’ll be on my own ,no one about

2 Likes

Some day, we will be back. :pray:

Hold the line

1 Like

We should all be meditating and journaling.

Worrying over what will happen in the future is not a proactive use of time or energy. Pat Divilly gives us two tools that can help manage our stress.

At a time where we are dealing with unprecedented levels of external uncertainty, it’s essential that we invest in ourselves. Now is the perfect time to cultivate mental fitness through simple, daily practices that develop confidence, clarity and consistency.

A fundamental need for us all is the need for certainty; feeling some level of routine and control. Though this has been thrown up in the air with recent changes in our external environment, we do have the opportunity to bring about more structure and certainty from within.

Mediation and journaling are two very simple tools that I have been encouraging for years to help bring calm to the busy mind.

Meditation

Simply put, meditation is about bringing awareness to the present moment rather than living in the future or past. In times like these, it’s easy to fall into fear, which is always a future-based experience; a case of misuse of the imagination. None of us know what’s coming in the weeks and months ahead, but it is clear that worry is not a proactive use of our time or energy.

As a starting point for meditation, consider setting a five-minute timer and performing the ‘box breath’ for five minutes.

For this breath, place a hand on your belly and inhale through your nose, breathing deeply and expanding your stomach. Inhale for four seconds and then hold the breath for four seconds. Now exhale through your nose or mouth for four seconds, then hold for four seconds. That is a box breath. Repeat for five minutes and watch how quickly your body and mind settles.

Do not have any expectations about clearing your mind or getting rid of all thoughts. Instead, see this as a chance to calm the body through slow, deep breaths. After a number of days of practice, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how it impacts your feelings day-to-day.

For best results, practice for five minutes in the morning and five minutes in the evening.

Journaling

The second tool worth implementing during this time is the practice of journaling. Most of us have a busy mind. Throw a pandemic and huge amount of change into the mix, and your busy mind can be overwhelmed. Journaling is about taking some of the mental noise from our heads and putting it onto paper to turn mountains into molehills.

Consider spending 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes in the evening with pen and paper. Keep it simple. In the morning, write down your top three priorities for the day and three things you are grateful for. These two prompts narrow your focus to what’s working in your life and what’s important for the day ahead.

In the evening, write down your mini-wins of the day and what you learned. Confidence comes from seeing our progress but often we move through life so fast we don’t stop to acknowledge what we’ve achieved in the day. Recognising your mini-wins is about shining light on what you’ve done well. Asking the question “what did I learn today” allows us to reflect on what worked and what didn’t work in the day and consider some small changes we could make going forward.

The journaling and meditation practices shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the evening. They are easy to do, but also easy not to do. I do know they will make a great impact in helping you maintain structure, keep you feeling grounded, and provide clarity in unsettling times. Consider giving this game plan a go for two weeks and see what happens!

Daily routine

Morning

• 5 minutes box breathing.
  • List 3 things you are grateful for.
  • List 3 priorities for the day ahead.

Evening

• 5 minutes box breathing.
  • Recognise 3 mini-wins from the day.
  • Reflect upon what you learnt from the day.

Pat Divilly is an Executive Performance Coach at PatDivilly.com.

Some coincidence he ended up getting a job at a company with the same name as himself.

11 Likes

@KinvarasPassion

1 Like

In need of meditation big time this morning, FUCKING Zurich and their electronic signature needed for the poxy proposal form( an impossibility without a printer) had to ask 5 different individuals " physical proposal form pls"
Ended up being sharpish with some cutty who ended the conversation in a smarmy Dublin accent" charminnnngg"

I love the thrill of being alone with your thoughts on the bike, defying the voices to pack it in, gritting your teeth, biting down hard and saying I’m going to battle on. My football days are gone, I’ve found cycling to be a great release to chasing that challenge, the siege mentality of reaching new levels and new targets and my legs look terrific in shorts.

2 Likes

I have reached full boredom. Only job left round the house requires paint which I can’t get.

One junior doing college exam upstairs so have to be quiet.

Time for podcast

Could you head up to the balbec and paint my front door?

Would they not take docusign or a scanned copy of a signature?

Did you get it sorted.

Have no paint. Would you have any sage colour?

It’s getting boring alright.

:grin::+1::+1:

Naw the whures,I can’t do it any way but print,sign,photo email, they’re sending a physical copy, and thanks

If you have an email copy you could sign an actual signature using your finger on an iPhone

If you need to take photo download Microsoft office lens app and it will be easier to use and send back by email

1 Like

Feck I hadn’t a clue boy, thanks,I’ve a mi note 10 android( xiaomi)
Tried everything ,got grumpy and asked the various operators for advice - nada

Try this

2 Likes

Thank you, Adobe fill and sign,I’d have passed the entrance exam to NASA before I’d have found that,and I did Google electronic signature etc

1 Like