The Brian Cody retirement tribute thread

The timne he won MOM in the All Ireland final when he was a manager, he was the GOAT, the Sir Alex Ferguson of hurling

1 Like

A legend and a winner. Simple as that.

All the best to him,

1 Like

Ah give us a break Marty!!

1 Like

That to me says it all about the man.

1 Like

Didn’t win one in 1979. He was axed after a poor showing at full forward in the 1978 All Ireland Final against the 3 in a row winning Cork team. He was booed at the homecoming in Kilkenny on the Monday night. I don’t think Coach Cody ever got over the hurt of getting booed by his own people.

2 Likes

He’s the undoubted GOAT.

Bill Belichick remains the last of the old greats.

2 Likes

‘Coach Cody’, what sort of wanker calls him that :joy:

2 Likes

Im genuinely looking forward with great interest to see how the next manager gets on.
Best of luck in the retirement Brian

The next Lad will be like Moysie, Cody’s Ghost will hovering around

2 Likes

I heard that before alright or something similar anyway.

That would ate a man up. It explains a lot.

While his greatness is unquestionable I’d love to hear the stories of the players he dropped or fell out with over the years. Charlie Carter, Stephen Grehan, John Mulhall, Richie Hogan, Paddy Hogan, John Power, David Herity and Henry. Some tremendous score settling.

1 Like

Hopefully the next boss won’t have to end up barring Cody from training a la Bob Paisley and Bill Shankley

1 Like

He’ll be director of hurllng.

This is it exactly. There needs to be a big name in Kilkenny next to manage the transition rather than any auld lad. This needs Davy.

5 Likes

Davy is the only man mentally strong enough to take it on

8 Likes

By sounds of it he goes to the village training when Kilkenny aren’t training. I’d say he’d be happy enough to stay away from it all and just help out at the club.

It’s good timing for Coach Cody. He goes out with a big round of of applause after a decent enough showing in 2022 after some really awful years. His legacy as the greatest long since assured after the 11 won in 16 seasons between 2000-15.

It’s probably not a great endorsement for the current Kilkenny crop. They gave it a good enough rattle last Sunday, without ever looking like winning it. You’d be thinking if Coach Cody felt there was an All Ireland in them anytime soon, he’d have hung around for at least another year.

1 Like

When were these awful years? 3 Leinsters in a row and got to an All Ireland the year before that

McDonnagh is in O’Loughlan territory, could have been that