The Brian Cody retirement tribute thread

Did it not happen at the courthouse? I wasn’t there but heard it was at the courthouse the boos came.

It was in the Market yard I think

It was outside the courthouse. That would be moving towards Dicksboro territory?

I see a Dicksboro county winner from 1950 passed away this morning.

Having to bring on Richie Hogan was all the signs we needed it was over

1 Like

Parliament Street is very much Dickboro territory. Parish of St Mary, I imagine – but could be St Canice’s. Same story, either way.

1 Like

Kilkenny are never too far away from winning an All Ireland. I suspect it’s possibly about 3 years away currently though. Derek Lyng, Peter Barry and Michael Rice presumably will be the next ticket. That would be a good appointment.

The greatest of all time.

A good IC hurler.
A great manager.
A brilliant Gael.

We’ll hardly see another

7 Likes
10 Likes

He’s certainly up there with Jim Gavin as the best manager of all time in the GAA.

That moment isn’t as significant in most other people’s thoughts as it is in yours, I’d say

7 Likes

I think I’d be happy enough with that

Ni bheidh a leithéid ann arís.

A giant of the game whose record will surely never be surpassed. He leaves KK in a decent state too. Not quite there, but thereabouts.

1 Like

I’d imagine any of them coming out with their “stories” would be made to.look pretty stupid.
Cody makes his decisions, there you go. You’re in or you’re out.
11 All Ireland’s against petty score settling. Would you go to fuck.

3 Likes

A long and happy retirement Brian.

It’s a bit easier to axe lads when you have 5 or 6 subs in reserve who are as good as what any other county have starting. If TJ and Huw Lawlor went playing soccer the week before this years final, doubt they’d have got the Stephen Grehan 2000 treatment.

I just spent last night in Kilkenny City. There was a very somber mood about the place. The end of an era was nigh and the people knew.

A good few people have suggested in the recent past that it maybe time for Cody to hand over the reigns (including myself) but none of us really wanted that or were prepared for it because of the gapping hole that’s now left to fill.

I do remember the days of Ollie Walsh, Nicky Brennan, Kevin Fennelly but in reality my hurling memories (and I’m lucky to have many great ones) were defined by Cody. A year hasn’t gone by since he started where I genuinely felt that we didn’t have a chance, no matter what other counties were like and that was down to Cody really.

6 Likes

My favourite moment is him hitting the ground after Mick Jacob’s goal hit the back of the net in 2004.

The absolute despair of the man was glorious to behold.

1 Like

Nasty post

3 Likes

Aw.

Mods, please issue a lengthy ban