The Brian Cody retirement tribute thread

The great man was on off the ball just now.

1 Like

I think I’m correct in saying that Monsignor Maher presided over all of the All Ireland wins between 1957-75? Was he there continuously during that period or did he step away for a while?

I think he was there continuously but I’d have to consult the auld fella. Another formidable character, I remember him saying mass in Mullinavat in the 80’s and 90’s. He would give you a look that would literally put the fear of God in you

1 Like
9 Likes

What would a Cody all-time 15 look like? Had a go at it:

1. Eoin Murphy
  2. Paul Murphy
  3. Noel Hickey
  4. Jackie Tyrrell
  5. Tommy Walsh
  6. Brian Hogan
  7. JJ Delaney
  8. Derek Lyng
  9. Michael Fennelly
  10. TJ Reid
  11. Henry Shefflin
  12. Eoin Larkin
  13. Eddie Brennan
  14. Richie Power
  15. DJ Carey

I wanted to get Richie Hogan in there but couldn’t figure out where to stick him. Probably should go in ahead of Brennan.

A truly global happening

1 Like

I heard a story where a local star was asked to open up an aul pitch and they were quoted 5k. Cody did it and all he asked was that he be allowed sell a few books.

1 Like

A sloppy tribute to Cody on the 6 o clock news
Marty git the clip of himself interviewing Cody in 09 into it

Micko was better than Jim. They went off and did it elsewhere.

5 Likes

Cody going this year to fuck with Shefflins head

1 Like

God help the man who has to follow him

Poor from Shefflin to not yet publicly congratulate him on a great career.

Yerrah they know it too but they could never admit it. Heffernan was even better than Gavin.

We had him down to present medal when we won a Co Final around 10/11 years ago. He’d take no money or a hotel room for the night.

A local lad made a commemorative clock to present to him and he spent time talking to as many people as possible. He was a gent.

That’s my 2nd favourite memory of him @Fran

5 Likes
21 Likes

It’s called clutching at straws. He seemed to love getting one over on us. I was at a work event last year he was speaking at where it was made known to him I was from Wexford. He had no hesitation in trying to highlight how much he loved burying his close neighbours in Wexford at every opportunity he got after that.

He was an absolute gentleman and twas intriguing to get some insight into how he sees and approaches everything. Incredibly old fashioned and stubborn but in a very positive way. I’ve the height of respect for the man and it’ll be a long time before we see his likes again.

4 Likes

Cody gives talks to business’s (on leadership etc…) & any money earned is sent to James Stephens club according to Nicky Brennan. In fairness you always hear stories of him not taking a cent .

He’s a proper great, great GAA man.

10 Likes

What is remarkable is he spanned a lot of eras. That one in 2019 will hurt. Wouldn’t like to be the man in after him. It’ll probably suit Henry really not to be the next man

I’d say he is one of those fellas who has no use for money.

1 Like

Probably right he has the same hat since 99