The Cancer Thread

I did a two hour interview with my mother, and another with my uncle (closest sibling of my dad) as part of an oral history project about ten years ago, when my mam passed I sent a copy to people who were interested and it’s been brilliant, we’ll have it forever, a lovely thing

12 Likes

My uncle would have been noted as being a historical maestro in terms of local events. People would make a beeline for him often to talk ‘history’.

He got fed up of it though. He was unassuming and didn’t view it as a big deal but got a bit pissed off with people constantly asking him things. When he passed away, everyone was asking us if we recorded his knowledge because it was so vast and detailed and no one else in the community would have it. Never mind us actually mourning the passing of a very special person.

7 Likes

Very sorry to hear that, best wishes to your Dad.

2 Likes

Sorry pal

1 Like

Did you record him?

I recorded three hours with my uncle before but it was for a specific project.

I must chat to my father some day and see would he be game for it.

3 Likes

I’ll record you!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @Watchyourtoes make the most of the remaining time.

1 Like

That’s bloody hard boy
Thoughts with you
If it’s any comfort and it may not ATM
With that fuckin disease there is a silver lining
You have time to say goodbye
Make up for any shite between ye
Etc
And eventually discuss how he wants to be remembered waked etc

3 Likes

Local historians are like gold dust
We lost one locally today or yesterday
Jim McKeown
Bishopstown

1 Like

Now that we’ve calving cameras in the shed I must get some footage of myself and ould lads interactions on the day of a TB test, them are the bits I’d probably miss the most.

Abusing the fuck out of each other until the moment the vet lands in the yard and then it’s back to happy families and big smiles.

44 Likes

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Sounds like my brother and father back on the farm, back in the day.

When I got married the wife got the same treatment for the first few visits. But once she was accepted into the family, she heard the full works. She couldn’t believe her ears.

5 Likes

Meself and the auld lad used to fall out 10 times a day when I was farming,auld lads like that don’t like to relinquish the power to what they would still see a a kid/child.Like @farmerinthecity uncle my auld lad knew every bit of history of the area going back probably 100 years, people’s names where they came from where they went to who was related to who,all the auld ghost stories of the area,big weather events that had happened, families politics and who they’d vote for,who owned what turf bank and where,who was entitled to the commanage on the mountain for grazing sheep.People would often ask him to call up to the bog to settle a dispute over a bog bank and who owned it.In later years when he stopped going to the pub people would always be calling to the house to see him,he was the last of an older generation in the area,all my old neighbours are nearly dead now,men who thought me to dig graves for cattle/sheep and a few dogs,to drive tractors with no brakes and only one front light,to ruck hay in the meadow,to foot turf,to clip sheep,dehorn calves,pull tug of war,play football and how to drink a pint.Theyre nearly all gone now but not forgotten and you’ll not forget your father either @Watchyourtoes,I’m sorry I never got the auld lad on tape telling a few yarns but he wouldn’t have let me but I still have my memories and so will you.

46 Likes

It’s important to carry on the intergenerational grudges and feuds. I need to catch up with the auld lad on a few of the origin stories of some of the falling outs we’ve had. You’d want your facts right when you don’t salute a lad or maybe plant a dig in the cunt some night based on what his father did to your father etc. He might have held back luck money on the sale of a baysth or his cattle might have broken into your meadow back in the 70s, and they didn’t build the wall. You want to be able to pass them on yourself some day without making shit up to fill the gaps.

30 Likes

Muldoons are so odd

Do you read our posts in a David Attenborough accent?

6 Likes

Dangerous when crossed too. You need to bĂ­ cĂșaramach when interacting here. :wink:

3 Likes

Rural Ireland is no upbringing for a child but it’s a great grounding

3 Likes

Why would he read them in Attenborough’s accent? Attenborough doesn’t narrate his shows by going “quack, quack, quack” or “miaow, miaow, miaow”

Very sorry to read this old buddy

1 Like