The Cancer Thread

Ah here :slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

My auld lad passed away peacefully during the night exactly 11 weeks to the day of first entering Milford hospice, I hate to use the old cliche of putting up an incredible fight but he really did especially the last month or so.

There is as much relief to see him free of the pain as there is sadness but he got to do everything he was able to do albeit wheelchair bound for the latter parts. He got to come out during the days when able and travelled to Dingle along with parts of Clare & Kinvara where his mothers side originated back to and all without complaint or self pity.

Horse racing and hurling were his biggest passions(he would have fit in well here!) We got to roar the whacker up the Cheltenham hill which il definitely remember fondly(He only went over himself last year).

To give a quick insight of the man he was anointed the night of the 24th of March, the breathing was down to gasps up to a minute between breaths and this went on up to 5/6 hours when we were called in, typical of the Croom man he was he suddenly sat up ร  la Tyson Fury or the Undertaker giving us all heart failure, the following night he was sat outside of the bed watching the league semi V Tipp. He loved the game of hurling the happiest I remember seeing him was inside at the homecoming in 2018 the look of joy on his face after years of going to matches a man just content.

Thanks to the many messages of support from posters both here and on other platformโ€™s the last few months, the week thatโ€™s in it we will probably have to wait until early next week for the funeral.

Finally to anyone who suffers from diabetes look after yourselves lads it goes hand in hand with Pancreatic cancer and trust me itโ€™s an absolute curse to obviously get it and for the family to assist the loved one through to the end.

96 Likes

God, Iโ€™m sorry to hear that,
You have some busy days ahead,

Take care

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss @Watchyourtoes

@Watchyourtoes sorry for your loss. Look after yourself

RIP

I hope you are ok

Very sorry to read about the loss of your dad. From earlier postings Iโ€™m surprised he hung in this long. He must have grinded it out to the last. Look after yourself and your family and be glad for the memories and borrowed time you had with him towards the end.

Deepest sympathies mate, Milford can be both tough and comforting at the same time, the bed of heaven to him.

Very sorry for your loss @Watchyourtoes. By the sounds of it ye are very proud of him and rightly so

May he rest in peace @Watchyourtoes

A beautiful tribute to your father @Watchyourtoes. Iโ€™m glad his last days were filled with things he loved and places he loved and people he loved, and Limerick beating Tipp. May he rest in peace and may the love he felt as he left sustain you.

1 Like

Its a bastard of a disease.

May he rest in peace.

Look after your family and yourself now.

Deepest condolences on your loss @Watchyourtoes

Very sorry for your loss mate.

The gasping for breath comment reminds me of my Dadโ€™s last days.

Lovely tribute to him there also.

:clap::clap:

1 Like

Am sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.

Sorry for your loss pal. Take care

I am very sorry for your loss @Watchyourtoes.