The causes of Glas

I was in the middle of a pleasing flow when I had to squeeze it off and do a quick spit shine and exit the building.

Overfished cod

2 Likes

I was hoping someone would spot it :smile:

Dangerous hipster bikes.

1 Like

Adjudicating on what makes one a cunt.

Ibrahim Halawi

2 Likes

'atin bread and tomatos

1 Like

@glasagusban is winning the battle for the travellers. :slight_smile:

Liberal fascism.

1 Like

:fist:

any interest in sexism @glasagusban? Is telling someone to run like they left the immersion on being sexist?

[quote]Last Monday I was a participant in the “fast jogger” category of the women’s mini-marathon, running with my aunt, a victor over breast cancer, in Dublin on a hot summer’s day.
On three occasions I was exposed to what what I would consider sexism in the form of “motivational” slogans: “Run like you left the immersion on!”, “The N11 never looked so good!” and “Don’t worry, ladies, the hair still looks gorgeous!”
The first two slogans appeared in fabric stretched across the footbridge of the Stillorgan dual-carriageway.
The latter was shouted by a member of the Order of Malta. To my astonishment, most women around me did not find fault with any of these slogans.
In fact, they cheered on the troglodyte and seemed genuinely validated by his creepy flattery.
Are the old concepts of our worth as women so embedded into the female Irish psyche that comments such as these automatically elicit a positive response of appreciation or, at the very least, an embarrassed smile? The simple answer is yes.
Men and women alike are often unable to even identify sexist remarks or undertones. They defend and deny its existence.
Unimpressed with the race slogans, I raised the question as to whether they were indeed sexist with my peers; particularly the reference to “leaving the immersion on”.
I was shut down when I raised the issue of the immersion slogan on social media. A male friend retorted: “That’s a fairly gender neutral motivational poster, men also worry over energy costs.” My friend and one of his (female) supporters then went on to bemoan the fact that men dressed as women who ran the race were not awarded medals, plus the the fact that it was a women-only event and that the title bore the word “marathon”.
More back and forthing ensued with my friend arguing that we would find similar immersion jokes and variants thereof in mixed races.
In the tens of races I have run across the country, I have not encountered such motivational posters. But the fact of the matter was that my aunt and I were not running a in a mixed race: that was not the context in which the message was conveyed. The target audience was 40,000 women – not men – and, although the message is misleading, the context is crystal clear.
Messages like these are an extension of washing-up liquid advertisements, women marvelling at the wonders of carpet cleaner, “does my bum look big in this” yoghurt ads, and, my favourite, those that purport to celebrate the female.
These messages in advertising and those motivational slogans on the N11 reinforce and normalise gender stereotypes, particularly as regards women’s place.
Why is it that men and women of this country continue to deny the presence of institutionalised sexism? [/quote]

Christ.

1 Like

She has little to be worrying her - Fucksake, middle class leisure pursuits and she scanning the crowd looking for a reason to be outraged.

2 Likes

As you know well, I’m only interested in causes that have a Facebook group.

That immersion gag is old and common, sure it’s on tshirts around the place. She should have done a quick google before taking such offence and writing the article. The second banner was maybe ill advised. The comment shouted from the man was dumb and sexist. She undermines herself by lumping them all in as the same.

I’ve seen a few examples recently of women labelling things as sexist that really aren’t. They’re only harming their own argument in relation to actual instances of sexism.

By her own comments on the bottom of the Times article, it seems she is getting plenty of abuse online over it all, so she is validating herself as a result.

Its the new phenomenon though of people going out of their way to be outraged by something, even if there is nothing to be outraged at.

1 Like

Next week: a feminist critique of that Con Houlihan article with the line about Paddy Cullen running back to his goal like a woman who smelled her cake burning in the oven.

5 Likes

I didn’t look at those. You’re right though. She might have some relevant things to say but needs to pick her points and battles better. Lazy articles like that allow people to dismiss everything she says as “the PC brigade are at it again” or “more loony left pinko liberal nonsense from Glas”.

It’s just the mentality of it all that astounds me. Her she was, doing a mini marathon with her aunt who beat cancer and given a platform to talk about her experience of the day and she chooses to talk about some very tenuous (if at all) sexism on display.

1 Like

@glasagusban, are you the “Nigel” commenting on this broadsheet version of the article

Whatever about views, I’m disappointed you think I could write something that incoherent :anguished:

1 Like