The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

The muldoons who predicted Dublin turning into a ghost town have been mugged off good and proper

2 Likes

My mate in the property development game says supply and trade costs have rocketed over the past year.

Demand for materials off the charts at moment, the quarries can’t keep the blocks pucked out

More quickly than what?
I said I reckoned there will be full employment for a generation. This will in turn encourage immigration and put further pressure on housing stock. With no ability to dampen anything by raising interest rates, it’s hard to know how this will pan out tbh.

1 Like

Seana and Jonathan are fucked. They’ll be stuck in that apartment in Milltown for the rest of their lives.

1 Like

Be interesting to see who comes the poor mouth in the flat in Wales if interest rates do go up (which they will, eventually).
Rising interest rates would be the first thing to exert any significant pressure on the EU I reckon.

Ah. I misread your post and thought it said significant unemployment when it said no significant unemployment. In that case I agree with all of it.

1 Like

Imagine buying a home without room for a decent island in the kitchen :rofl:

@Julio_Geordio and his twee little analysis

If you’re surrounded by your own effluent you need the island.

Having said that I’ve a peninsula in my kitchen. Best thing we ever put in apart from the log burner.

I read a report there recently that said Brexit and material increased costs will add 6bn to the cost of HS2.

There will be a reckoning over sand at some point.
Second most used natural resource after water

2 Likes

The Chinese are fucking out some awful shite sand this past while.

The “ Dublin Turning in to a ghost town “ talk was largely the hopes of twenty something / early thirty types living in Dublin paying rent up to their gills or still living at home .

Most Muldoons didn’t give a fuck tbh

Dublin is finished.

I’ve posted a number of times before about how Fine Gael’s runaway current spending, most notably in health and housing, is the result of its own policies. Fine Gael’s rep as “the fiscally prudent party” is the biggest misconception in Irish politics. It may be conservative, but it either cannot or will not control finances.

You have the FG supporters accusing SF of “magic money tree” when it proposes significant capital investment to improve the situation in both sectors, which is the only answer. In reality it’s FG who rely on the magic money tree, repeatedly using windfall corporation tax gains to cover their runaway current spending. Everyone knows this is extremely bad budgetary policy.

Further to that, the article demonstrates how poor Department of Finance projections are: over optimistic, under detailed and glaringly just leaving out costs that have already been committed to, like slaintecare. Responsibility for this lies solely with Fine Gael, which has held the Finance Ministry for far too long.

The critique is best illustrated through the Government’s health budget. This has been rising at an average rate of 7 per cent since 2015. But the Government’s current multi-year forecasts for health assume only minimal increases for the years ahead – just €200 million or 1 per cent rises are factored in for 2022 and 2023. In Ifac’s eyes, this is entirely unrealistic. In its latest assessment, it also makes the point that policy commitments contained in the Coalition’s Programme for Government are also left out of these multi-year forecasts.

While Fine Gael traditionally likes to present itself as the party of financial discipline, in reality it has struggled to rein in spending. Even on a project-by-project basis, the national children’s hospital and the National Broadband Plan suggest cost containment has become a real problem.

Despite the favourable tailwinds behind the economy in recent years – that is before Covid-19 – the Government really only managed to run budget surpluses on the back of surging corporation tax receipts. And these stronger-than-expected receipts have been quickly swallowed up by faster-than-planned increases in annual spending

1 Like

The boom keeps getting boomier.

2 Likes

There seems to be no end to this.
Genuinely, are there any clouds on the horizon, other than that any extra money in the country will just end up in the housing market, and HP cars?

The boom is back

1 Like

Get out of the Green and into the Red for Mayo

8 Likes