The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

Corporation tax receipts should be higher than what they are if we are charging 0.005% to Apple as opposed to the stated 12.5%. EU is not attacking our tax rate. They are only asking we charge everyone the same rate. Noonan appealing is typical FG policy. Screw indigenous companies but back Billy big balls at all costs. Cap doffing cunts.

1 Like

Answer the question, you are lauding FF for the CT regime but criticising FG for maintaining it.

You don’t have any understanding of how TP actually works, nor do you understand effective tax rates. The effective CT rate in Ireland across the board, and across the EU, is a good deal lower than the headline rates.

10 firms in Ireland paid 50% of our CT take in 2015. We need to broaden that base out, it isn’t the large companies that is our the problem. We do very well from larger companies paying CT here when the wealth was not created in this country already. The next step for maintaining Ireland’s economy (for those actually bothered to work), is for a greater growth in SMEs. That we saw the largest number of companies registered at the CRO in 20 years last year is very encouraging and the Kaiser deserves some credit for this.

The big risks to Ireland’s economy right now is the ludicrous ideological attack by one EU commissioner on our tax system and Brexit. On the latter, one of main opposition parties in the Dáil is abdicating responsibility for helping both North and South so they can keep up their fairytales. I admire FF for appointing a guy to speak up on that matter who has pilloried the party before though.

1 Like

What has Sinn FĂ©in got to do with @ChocolateMice 's poser?

The structures work because of US tax law. It is a tax/land grab by EU hence the White House immediate response the day of the decision.

cap doffing cunts for standing up to EU?

The Kaiser knows the importance of FDI and the importance of Apple and you are blind if you cannot see what the Commission are trying to do after years of complaining about our tax rates.

It’s a standard Blue-shirt tactic, mate

1 Like

I am referencing each of the main opposition parties equally. Taking FF’s most recent turn in office and their most recent policies. Ditto for the only All Ireland party in this country who are in government somewhere and are one of the main opposition parties in this country. Everyone should be judged on their record in office, including Sinn FĂ©in. You have a natural reflex for criticising the media when mentioning SF and their past, but they shouldn’t be afforded the luxury of ducking out on their record in office.

Bro?

You’re seriously referencing Vincent Browne on here? :grinning:

That’s certainly your prerogative but I’m not sure why you quoted my post to do so. As mentioned, Choco asked a specific question and I responded to him. It looked like you in turn directed a “what about Sinn FĂ©in?” type post to me by quoting my factual response to Choco but I’m an Independents4Change man myself and wasn’t tacitly supporting Sinn FĂ©in in my post to Choco. I know TFK threads can take on a life of their own though so no problem at all.

I do agree with you that political parties should be judged by their record (in government and in opposition). That naturally involves a look back but my own feeling is that it should be weighted towards the recent past and on 1) actions/policies that are currently affecting people or had a significant recent impact and 2) decisions made by people who are still in political life and are holding/seeking office. Granted 1) is a bit arbitrary but I think it’s dumb when sections of the media constantly refer to incidents in the 1920s, 1970s or whatever to divert attention from important current issues. And regarding 2) I think it’s completely fair to check back on, say, the ministerial record of anyone going for the Assembly Elections up north or, say, the ministerial records of those going for the Fine Gael leadership to determine their competence.

2 Likes

so you cant answer the question

It’s worthwhile noting that one of their main opposition parties oversaw the fleecing of Northern tax payers out of hundreds of millions of pounds, due to their incompetence in government. That wasn’t government policy, it was incompetence.

I have consistently brought up the opposition parties and examples from other countries (Greece and the other PIIGS). I haven’t brought up the 1920s.

All the boys criticising Michael Noonan want to have it both ways on every issue. Michael Noonan spending a relatively small amount of money to defend a government policy is not squandering money. Apparently it’s all FF’s doing that we have the CT regime we have and that is the only reason for FDI, yet Noonan shouldn’t defend that.

1 Like

You didn’t really ask a question, you made a non specific posts about heavy lifting without providing the data.

The budgets that FG put out were in like with what was required under the IMF/EU agreement, but your boys wanted to rip all of that stuff up.

1 Like

Someone has to pay @briantinnion’s wages

Avoid & Distract

2 Likes

Are you being a bit disingenuous here, Tim? I’m not fully au fait with the workings of the Stormont government or the RHI scandal specifically but the department was DUP controlled and the minister responsible was a DUP member if I’m not mistaken.

Sure the GFA brought about “power sharing” but there’s a difference between real power sharing / a true coalition partnership and what seemed to be happening in practice. My understanding is that the two biggest parties get to split the ministerial positions between them and they more or less work away independently then.

I’m open to correction on this but it appeared that the departments/ministerial positions were carved up and this RHI scheme was something from the DUP play book. I’ve read reports of civil servants raising concerns about the adverse financial impact and Sinn FĂ©in may be validly accused of not being on top of it but it wasn’t their area of responsibility, they didn’t introduce the scheme and they pulled the plug on the government largely because of it (some may argue belatedly).

I’ll stop lest I be accused of defending Sinn FĂ©in but I don’t think they jointly hatched up this scheme in partnership with the DUP or anything like it.

2 Likes

Irrelevant, they are in government with them. The scheme was approved by the NI executive.

It is incompetence.

Can you be more specific?

Sure didn’t FF design NAMA and sign the bank guarantee. Surprised there are so many supporters of those actions on here. I’d have thought they were hugely unpopular moves

Where did I laud FF? You were praising Noonan for Corp Tax revenues increasing. I only stated this is not something he should take credit for. Ireland facilitated Apple’s tax avoidance by introducing legislation whereby only actual profits generated in Ireland would be taxed. EU have stated this is against EU law. We are part of the EU as they kept telling us. Apple siphoned all profits through Ireland. Their books show it. They should be taxed in Ireland. EU appear to be correct. Uncompetitive and morally wrong on both Apple and Ireland’s behalf.

Anti-competitive.
If you accept Commission logic.