The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

Well I’d say indigenous companies wouldn’t mind paying 0.005% tax on profits.

The tax structuring worked because of US tax law.

Irish indigenous companies have different corporate structures and different rules apply.

But you knew that.

I know the EU’s tax laws trump ours. US tax laws are irrelevant as Apple decided to report all profits through an Irish company. Lucky we had the EU keeping an eye out for us. You couldn’t expect the likes of Noonan to have our best interests at heart.

Now I know you are not being serious.

I would be quite happy for the EU to run our affairs rather than traitors like Noonan and Kenny. They awarded Ireland 13bn. They’re the good guys.

2 Likes

In case some of you were not aware.This chump worked in risk in boi during the Celtic Tiger years.please bear that in mind when reading his posts

1 Like

Has the EU competence on taxation in member states ??

1 Like

You are incorrect on that point.

Sorry, incorrect

Time to shut the thread down.
That is like saying you would commend the captain* of the Titanic for all the lives he managed to save after he struck an iceberg when going too fast.

• – I know it wasn’t all the Captains fault but it serves my little riposte to generalize in the best TFK tradition.

They fucked Ireland with the bank guarantee, propert bubble and silly spending but we were heading for some form of shit whomever was in power. They deserve credit for being a pro enterprise government though, our dynamic economy allowed sections of the economy to recover quickly. Ireland > rest of the PIGS.

Maybe not but I’d have more trust in their competence than ours, especially when we implement legislation which enables certain companies to pay 0.005% on profits reported in Ireland.

In a nutshell.

I’d argue it is more down to the luck that we are English speaking, educated (largely thanks to the church whatever way you look at it), still close enough to hard times to be driven (possibly on the wane here), and have the innate slyness to tug the forelock and dance a jig for the overlords, whilst picking their pockets as a tax haven.
Tax haven is grand, but we are screwing poorer countries, and allowing foreign multinationals huge benefits and advantages over indigenous businesses.
It is immoral, and won’t end well, though neither this nor any other govt give a shit as long as they have passed the parcel before it explodes.

3 Likes

Aren’t our advantages in education mainly due to the system of free universal education introduced by Donagh O’Malloy in the 1960s rather than the Church. The Church was happy to educate the masses in the basics and Catechism and then let them off at 12 to work in England or farm here and to hand pick a few of the clever ones for the priesthood and provide fee paying schools for the wealthy ones. But the system of free secondary education for all actually turned this country on its head socially and economically. The other major revolutionary point in education was Niamh Breatnachs decisionto do away with college fees for all. Can’t ntrocersial but it has undoubtedly democratised 3rd level educationin the last 25 years.

10 Likes

How are we screwing “poorer countries”?

How much were the fees before abolition? Someone told me the registration fee now is 3k + per annum. Said need to be budgeting 12 k a year to pay for reg and accommodation before they drink a naggin or eat a packet of pot noodles

Yes it’s 3k per year, Labour and Quinn half ruined their own marquee policy as a government policy in the history of the state. It’s regressive.

By allowing mnc’s to avoid paying tax pretty much anywhere.

Yes. Changed the country. I remember as a young lad reading GAA programmes in the 80s and compared to modern players they mostly didn’t go to third level. Education increases social mobility to a huge extent.

However it widened gap to the social welfare/disadvantaged classes. A progressive government would throw money at pre school education and it would have as revolutionary effect as free secondary school had.

1 Like