The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

have a read of this one

https://www.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/rent-pressure-zones

Incorrect. Multi nationals are good for this country. We charge a low tax. The least we should do is charge them that low rate. Whether you like it or not Ireland facilitated a tax avoidance scheme that helped Apple siphon profits out of the EU tax free. We are a member of the EU. Helping Apple was cutting off our nose to spite our face. You get your nags in a twist over dolies getting a fiver extra a week but no problem with Apple avoiding paying tax of 13bn. Ha ha.

Incorrect. We are part of the EU. They are happy for us to charge a low rate of tax. They have a problem with us charging no tax. Unfair advantage afforded to certain chosen ones is anti competitive. They are well within their rights to call us up on it. Legally its fine in Ireland because the rules were bent to suit Apple. Itā€™s illegal in the EU and luckily EU law supercedes Irish law in this matter.

Me too. But I wouldnā€™t be an expert by any means. Itā€™s certainly a complaint iv heard landlords making on prime time and the likes. I thought you had to leave house empty for 12 months before the rent control rules could be ignored

Thatā€™s pretty much it. Doffs his cap to his perceived better as he kicks someone in the gutter.

That was the Alan Kelly solution back in 2-14 but in 2-16 Coveney changed that with the Rent Pressure Zones.

1 Like

Yep - that confirms that any new rent is linked to the old rent. The only difference is that the 4% per year can be applied retrospectively. In addition you have to provide a new tenant with a calculation showing how you reached the rent.

Thereā€™s not a chance that these ā€œtemporary measuresā€ will ever be removed. The first sniff of them and every muldoon FF td was trying to get his local rural patch designated a ā€œpressure zoneā€ - the usual TD parish pump politics.

The government is appealing this decision as they should. The EU have no competence on taxation. The matter will be sorted at OECD level before the appeal sees light in any event .

ā€¦ and Ireland do?

wtf ?

this chump acting like a know it all :slight_smile:

A taxation expert no less

I know very little about tax TBH but I know the EU has no competence on taxation .

how?

Ainā€™t in the treaties .

what treaties?

The treaty of Linerick , 1691 .

Again, this is gibberish. There is transfer pricing. Very few companies pay an effective CT rate of 12.5%, including Irish ones.

Do indigenous companies get an effective rate 0.005%?

Do you think Ireland is unique in that the effective tax rate for huge companies is different to the effective tax rate for smaller conpanies?

Of course not, big companies pay top dollar to find ways of avoiding tax, something smaller companies canā€™t afford. However in Ireland they donā€™t have to pay top dollar, they get the Irish government to it for them.