The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

We’re catching up with the best. Homeless numbers in Ireland doubled between 2014 and now. What do you think reducing dole will do for these numbers?

Apologies, missed that.

They haven’t stooped that low yet I think. The recent increase in homelessness is down to the increase in rents due to lack of housing. Cutting the dole would only exacerbate this problem.

Indeed. I vaguely recall it being raised a while back on the news though. Catch 22 of epic proportions

Well the youth have been successfully dealt with through emigration but Tim wants the elderly targeted next.

An area that could be tackled is that families on welfare are not discouraged from having more kids. There should be a maximum as to what a family can get in welfare receipts.

1 Like

I see Irelands corporation tax code has been independently assessed as being transparent, appropriate for Ireland enterprise, fair, competitive, sustainable and certain.

The independent assessor was a Seamus Coffey of UCC :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Honestly can you not read or something? Read the whole quoted bit ffs.

That’s utter bs on the youth now.

Emigration is once again a choice.

Look at the dreary Irish Times articles on the “Youth abroad”. They’re all there talking about progressiveness, “foodie culture” et cetera.

These aren’t people being sent off in coffin ships or to pick fruit for a living, they are mostly well educated people making a lifestyle choice.

That is not to say there are not issues for the young in Ireland. The cost of housing is ridiculous and they are propping up the investments of their parents. They are also going to have longer working lives than their parents and not the same level of pension.

With you though everything is a blanket statement of misery and feelings based nonsense.

@Tim_Riggins rigging the numbers again.

45% decline for nationals 53% decline for non nationals since '09

Homeless numbers have doubled because a decision was made in Ireland to tank all developers and to make banks evil. There also was a political decision that NAMA had to sell everything quickly and turn a book profit, so not to be considered another loss making state entity. Ironically they’ve ended up in the mud anyway, as any large scale project like that inevitably he.

Another factor is an increase in population.

Most of the stories of deaths and homelessness really do not stand up to scrutiny. The chap who died outside the DĂĄil? He overdosed after all the hoolabaloo. The chap who died outside the Super Dry store? A convicted sex offender who was HIV positive.

This doesn’t make it right. Rough sleepers is not good but there isn’t one solution to those problems and sadly they will always exist.

By international standards of wealthy nations, we are not actually that bad. That doesn’t mean we cannot improve, but once again, you are just a miserable person who takes a feelings look at everything and ignores facts.

1 Like

Where are the rigged numbers?

You mean to say that France, Germany and Sweden aren’t countries you look up to as good?

Or Norway or Denmark, which Ireland are virtually level with?

What countries do you actually admire, or do you just hate this earth?

I’m alright Jack.

1 Like

You’re the one that wants social welfare cuts targeting the elderly and forcing more into homelessness. The same man who rages at the EU for ordering Ireland to collect 13bn from poor lickle Apple. If there’s a miserable cunt here it aint me kiddo.

It’s entirely possible that you’re both miserable cunts.

“A decision was made”

100% in agreement here Dan. The local dolies have it off to a tee.
The pub, the bookie’s and the odd day “painting” and Lanzarote for winter breaks. Oh! and endlessly complaints about the state of the country. None of these end up homeless either btw.

A great little country in fairness.

1 Like

Possibly but I’m not wishing misery on others.

Cc @mikehunt @ChocolateMice @paulmurphyandhisbandomerrymen

Cat got your tongues?

Dont think anyone wants it abolished. Just want it run from the money we’re already paying to fund it.

2 Likes