The Championship thread

No. Away goals don’t count in the Playoffs.

Weirdly relaxed, mildly confident even, about tonight. We are up against it , sure, but I have elected to BELIEVE. Swansea are a decent tidy side but Forest didn’t get going at all the last day and can play much better. Unlike the last day the Swans will have to force it tonight and a more open game will suit Forest. If Moosie starts tonight(subject to a late fitness test) I might even back them as they are definitly overpriced. McGugan will come in for a lot of stick from the Taafy supporters tonight but he’s the type who’d play better because of it. Need better performances from the likes of Gunter and McKenna who were only average at the City Ground. Word is that USA international striker Robert Findlay might start tonight for Forest ahead of Earnshaw after recovering from injury.

Swanseas appeal(to the FAW) against the Red Card failed so they are without their first choice Left back. Chealsea loan Borini who went off the last day with what looked like a pulled hamstring is seemingly fit to play tonight but I’d wonder about that.

I’d go with this starting lineup
Camp
Moloney, Chambers, Big Wes Morgan, Gunter
McKenna, Moussi,
McGugan, Cohen
Findlay, Boyd

McLeary and Tyson are good options from the bench if an injection of pace is needed late in the tie. If Findlay isn’t fully fit I’d say Billy will leave Boyd as a lone striker for the first half at any rate and maybe use an extra defender/midfielder to help weather the expected early storm from Swansea. If Forest can do that, they are an excellent counter attacking side and I’d fancy them to nick a couple of goals. Luck will be a factor as ever in the playoffs. We’ve never had it before, maybe tonights the night!

Nice piece here on Brendan Maloney from yesterdays Sindo.

Moloney hoping to repay Forest’s faith with interest
Kerry’s Brendan Moloney has dreams of Premier League football, writes Seán Ryan

Sunday May 15 2011

BRENDAN MOLONEY is hoping that history will repeat itself in this year’s Championship play-offs – and that he will make a little piece of history himself.

This time last year, Blackpool came with a late run to finish sixth, qualify for the play-offs, and then won the play-off final. Instrumental to that late run was an Irishman, right-back Seamus Coleman.

This year, Moloney, also a right-back, finds himself in the same situation. After missing most of the season, he returned to the Nottingham Forest team last month and helped them to a strong finish, which saw them clinch sixth place to qualify for the play-offs.

While last Thursday’s 0-0 draw at home to a Swansea City team reduced to 10 men from the second minute might be seen as a disappointing result, it is still all to play for at the Liberty Stadium tomorrow night.

Manager Billy Davies kept faith in Moloney for this vital game, and the young man from Killarney is now only two games away from making history by becoming the first Premier League player from the Kingdom.

Although Gaelic football also figured in his early days, as one would expect, Moloney admits: “When I was younger I just wanted to make it as a professional footballer.”

He was playing for Killarney Athletic when he was chosen for the Irish schoolboys, and was then offered the chance to play for Dublin club, Belvedere Boys.

As far as Moloney was concerned, it was a no-brainer. “It was an opportunity to get noticed, playing in the DDSL. There are not many scouts going down to Kerry.”

For one season, he travelled to Dublin by train every Saturday morning to train with Belvedere, stayed overnight, and played a game on Sunday morning before returning home on Sunday afternoon.

It was a tough schedule, but it paid off. “I was in third year and didn’t miss any school, and then when the scouts come looking for me, I moved to Forest because I was able to continue my education there.”

At 22, Moloney has experienced the ups and downs of football ever since he made his debut for Forest in League One four years ago. The following season, Forest were promoted but he spent most of that season on loan to Chesterfield.

He had a good run in the team in their first season back in the Championship, but was sent out on loan again, to neighbouring Notts County last season, and helped them to win the League Two title.

That was his first medal as a professional, but it was followed by a serious injury suffered on loan with Scunthorpe United, which kept him out of action for nearly five months.

"I was playing left-back for Scunthorpe, but injured the medial ligament in my knee in my third game, just when I was looking forward to a good run in that position. The more positions you can play in the better.

"That was a frustrating time, but you just have to get the rehab done. I was fortunate that when I got back it was just before pre-season so I had that to get fit.

"Then, of course, Chris Gunter had the jersey and he had been brilliant, so I was on the bench and playing for the reserves to keep up my match fitness.

“I finally got in when Chris was given a rest, and I had to take my chance. I played six games for Forest this year, not as many as I’d like, but that’s part of being a footballer.”

Moloney’s introduction coincided with some good results and a strong finish to the campaign by Forest. Specially pleasing for him was the assist he gave for the crucial second goal against Crystal Palace on the last day of the season.

“It’s always nice to get an assist. I try to put the ball in a dangerous area and hope the striker gets to it. After all that running up and down the wing, it’s important to have some end product.”

In that regard, he seems to be cast from the same mould as his former Irish under 21 team-mate Coleman, a player he hopes to emulate.

“Seamus got his chance with Everton and he has done brilliantly. It’s brilliant for a young Irishman to be playing in the Premier. Everyone’s goal is to play at the highest level, and I’m no different.”

Moloney, who has two years left on his contract, could yet be spending them in exalted company.

I’d say the cops are praying at least one of Forest or Reading get to Wembley

Courageous is the most appropriate word I can muster to best describe Billy’s lineup tonight

Camp
Moloney Chambers Morgan Gunter
Moussi
McGugan Cohen
McGoldrick
Tudgay Tyson

Subs: Anderson, Earnshaw, Boyd, McKenna, Majewski, Lynch, Smith

Anderson, Earnshaw, Boyd, McKenna all dropped. Findlay clearly still injured. I still believe

'HON FOREST TA FUCK!!!

:frowning:

That was a very well taken goal by Dobbie. Hard to see Swansea losing this.

Swansea v Cardiff would be a great spectacle in fairness…

Swansea play some lovely football.

Scott Sinclair is a threat at this level.

2 smashing goals, especially the second one.

They do indeed. They had a little spell before the first goal when they were a bit deep and couldn’t get hold of the ball but they held their patience and made sure they used it well when they did get it. Loads of movement off the ball - nice to see midfielders dropping back looking for the ball and not hiding as it passes them by.

cockpiss i fucking hate the fucking playoffs

COME ON FOREST TA FUCK, ONE QUICK GOAL AND ITS GAME ON

Tudguy you cunt! Billy needs to roll the dice, get Moosie off he’s a total fucking liability tonight, still clearly not fully fit, get Raddy on, Tudguy off Boyd on, McGoldrick off Earnie on, mon ta fook!

The only chance you have of going up is to finish 1st or 2nd next season Laz. Playoffs and Forest go as well together as Bandage and good looking birds in Krystle.

:rolleyes:

Wassup mate?

EARNIE COMMMMEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

What an utter reptile Billy Davies is.

Another fine finish. The right back for Swansea gave it away terribly when they were breaking though.