The Cork GAA 2009 Thread

They’ll do well to beat that Kerry team I imagine having seen how strong their sides were in the Hogan Cup. Tipp have been coming on and off for a while, they won a Munster Minor as far back as 94 if memory serves me correctly.

They only had one side in the Hogan Cup, as any county could possibly. Coloiste Na Sceilge were a tidy team, but they struggled to beat Coloiste Colm and St. Factnas. Tralee were also handy but failed to perform to their ability and were surprised by Killorglin i think. Overall it was a level and decent Munster Colleges, but certainly not outstanding. Coloiste improved alright when they got out.
1995 - They beat Cork, i was at it, it was my age. Cork were well outplayed that day. Tipp did nothing with those players really.

Sorry, I was referring to the All Ireland Colleges, I thought they beat a few Kerry sides on the way to that?

Ya, and Cork, Clare and Tipp colleges i’d say, certainly Cork ones. There was huge talk of Kerry colleges being way out in front at the start but St. Factnas, Criost Ri, St. Brendans, Tralee, Macroom, and Killorglin were all very close in standard. Sceilge’s were that little bit better than everyone.

Anyway we are getting away from the discussion at hand. Tipp will probably be outsiders, and will have to play well, but i’d say they’ll have a decent chance.

Cork 1.32 limerick 2.15 Result. Evidently Fintan O’leary had field day.

Off RebelGAA.

Good performance by almost everyone tonight. Hartnett started the game but went off very early so the team for the first half was:
Cusack
Shane Murphy - Cadogan - Conor Sull
Ray Ryan - McGann - Jordan
Jerry - Cronin
Paudie - Niall Mc - Timmy Mc
Tadhg Og - Fraggy - Hoggie

First half was a good competitive affair. Limerick were 2 up at half time. Our midefield was playing really well, McGann and Ray Ryan (who struck 2 beautiful long range points) and Conor Sull were all impressive. Tadgh Og was working away hard in the corner and Hoggie was picking off a few scores too.

There were a good few changes at half time so I’m not going to try to get through all of them - Naughton came on midfield, Fintan came on at full forward and Corry was on the wing - all impressed. Timmy & Niall Mc were taken off at the half.

The second half was good from a Cork perspective, an exhibition really, but Limerick showed no hunger for the battle in the second half at all. Cork just ran up a big score with point after point from all angles. Fintan took his goal well.

Late on Barry Johnson cut over a nice sideline, Kieran Murphy (EO) got 3 nice points and Darragh McSweeney came on at full back (is that the end of Killian Cronin?)

Shane O’Neill, Ben, Curran, Gardiner & Aisake (playing football), Tom Kenny and Ronan Conway (who was picked in the programme at wing forward) were out.

As for low points - still not sure of Cadogan as a full back, Timmy (looked unfit) & Niall (looked very fit) didn’t look too hectic and Fraggy looks off the pace to me.

Overall I thought the team looked fit and sharp. Both corner backs did well, midfield was good and all the forwards scored I’d say in running up 33 scores on a team they were lucky to beat in the league a few weeks ago.

Another report off RebelGAA:

Wouldn’t say the game was played at championship place particularly the 2nd half as the tackles from Limerick were non existant. Thought Cronin and Jerry were superb in midfield in the 1st half, totally dominated. Cronin showed a lot more physically and was a lot sharper with his distribution. Threw over a few lovely scores as well. McGann was excellent at centre back also. He looks a certain starter against Tipp if Sean Og is out.

Paudie Sull was in and out of the game for me. Would agree with mullagher on Niall Mac. I thought he looked very sharp and caused Geary lots of problems. I think he may have come off at half time with an injury - seemed to go down with a leg injury just before half time and left the field at half time a little gingerly - anyone else notice this?

1st half was competitive. Limerick led 1-12 to 0-13 at the break. Cork missed 2 penalties in the 1st half both taken by Horgan. 1st one came back off the bar and bouced back out. 2nd one was well saved. Cusack pulled off an outstanding save for Limerick’s goal but the rebound was still scored.

Cadogan looked shaky at full back, not comfortable at all. I think this is the biggest issue we have for 2 weeks time now. I don’t think he will start on the edge of the square in Thurles.
2nd half was one way traffic. O’Leary came on full forward and Corry on the wing and they dominated and caused Limerick fierce problems altogether. Seemed to win a lot in the air and Limerick couldn’t handle them at all. Did themselves no harm at all in terms of the Tipp match. I thought both were the foundations of Cork’s 2nd half showing.

You couldn’t really say anything about the backs in the 2nd half as there was no challenge at all from Limerick up front. 1-3 is all they managed and the goal came from a long range free. They went the last 20 mins without scoring. Very few wides in the game and some lovely scores in the game but a lot were thrown over unchallenged especially in the 2nd half.

Hard to know did Limerick just ease up or not so I wouldn’t be getting carried away but I definitely came away last night a little more confident for Tipp. Cork’s touch looked good and there was good hooking going on. Use of possession was also very good at times.

One other thing, Coleman came on for Cusack at half time. One thing that interested me here was that he was able to land a few puck outs down on O’Leary at full forward who was able to field. I definitely think O’Leary and Corry can offer us targets in terms of aerial possession. Big difference I know between a challenge game against Limerick and a Munster championship game against Tipp but options to spring from the bench at the very least.

Sounds like McGann might get a crack come championship.

Turenne are any of the scabs (for want of a better word) still involved in any way?

Barry Johnson, Tadgh Og Murphy, Chris Murphy and Conor O’Sullivan will all be on the Championship squad, Conor Sul and Chris Murphy have a decent chance of starting at Tipp.

Fair enough, good to see.

As it stands, I haven’t really a clue who Walsh will pick were come Championship.

Definites

Donal Og
Shane O’Neill
Ronan Curran
Tom Kenny
Ben O’Connor
Jerry O’Connor
Pa Horgan
Niall McCarthy

Probables

Chris Murphy
Sean Og (if fit)
John Gardiner (full back?)
McGann
Pa Cronin
Fraggie Murphy
Aisake

Possibles

Conor Sul
Fintan O’Leary
Eoin Cadogan
Joe Jordan
Paudie Sul
Ronan Conway
Coleman

Some configuration of that lot I’d imagine. At this stage, presuming all are fit, I guess it will be…

Donal Og

Chris Murphy John Gardiner Shane O’Neill

McGann Ronan Curran Sean Og

Tom Kenny Jerry O’Connor

Ben O’Connor Niall McCarthy Pa Cronin

Pa Horgan Aisake Fraggie Murphy

It wouldn’t be too bad. Full back is a disaster area. I’d have Conor Sul starting in one of the corners personally but I think Walsh is going for physicality everywhere.

The Barrs beat Midleton by a point, Midleton choking yet again, l osing despite being well ahead. Luke O’Farrell and Haughney best for Midleton.

From the Examiner
CORK football boss Conor Counihan has added four of the countys recent All-Ireland U21 winners to the senior panel ahead of Sundays Munster SFC opener against Waterford in Dungarvan.

U21 captain Colm ONeill is joined by defensive duo Noel Galvin and Aidan Walsh and attacker Ciarn Sheehan. The Cork management remain hopeful Anthony Lynch will shake off the shoulder injury which kept him out of last Fridays challenge against Galway.

Patrick Kelly and Conor McCarthy picked up knocks in county SFC games over the weekend, but the injuries are not expected to be serious enough to force them out of contention next Sunday.

Michael Cussen and Kevin OSullivan are ruled out, their injuries not having cleared up in time for Sundays game. Defender Diarmuid Duggan is also out after undergoing a knee operation last week.

Waterford will be without midfielder Mick Aherne, who has a virus problem, and defender Justin Walsh is out with a hamstring injury. A decision has yet to be made on whether dual stars Gary Hurney and Shane Walsh will be available for the footballers, but Patrick Hurney is in contention for a starting place.

Personally i’m disapointed that a few more aren’t involved, namely the 2 O’ Driscoll brothers, Colm is simply a lunatic who’ll die for ya, and he gets the odd score. Sheehan and Walsh are still actually 18 years old, but i’m delighted they are involved, its what Kerry have been doing for years. Have them on the panel and get them used to the requirements. I would have brought Shane McCarthy in as well to see was he up to it. Noel Galvin is a little shy on pace, but he’s as tough as nails.

The battle for the No.13 jersey is unreal, with Goulding, Masters and now O’ Neill all being out and out No.13’s. I would say at the moment its Goulding, O’ Neill and Masters in that order, but i can see O’ Neill being the regular in the next year or two. He needs a bit more strength, but he is a better percentage kicker than the other 2. Masters is too flaky for me anyway. I could see O’ Nei;ll and Goulding on the same team, but not Masters and either of the other two.
Here’s the team i’d like to see this year.

Paddy O’ Se
Ray Carey Michael Shields Anthony Lynch

Noelie Leary Graham Canty John Miskella

Nick Murphy Pierce O’ Neill

Paul O’ Flynn Paddy Kelly Paul Kerrigan

Daniel Goulding Donnacha O’ Connor Michael Cussen

I’d have Cusssen floating between a target man and a 3rd man midfielder. He’s making his comeback on sunday i believe against my own team in the league, so i’ll get a good look (up) at him.

How much will ye beat Waterford by Kev?

If i was betting i’d go heavy on Cork and the spread. I’m fairly low on cash this month, so i’ll leave it.
I’ve a mate on the Waterford panel, he says they are training hard, but the hurlers not being around and the slow decision making of Davy on weather he wants them to play a challenge game on sunday or not is fooking them up. Can’t be good for them. They should forget about them.
I gave him an idea of the Cork Junior team for sunday and he would know alot of them, he thinks the juniors could beat Waterford Seniors, not a good sign really.

Whats the story with PP website Flano or any of ye lads?

i would be expecting cork to win by double digits alright

Chris Murphy has temporarily withdrawn from the Cork Senior Hurling squad due to illness/exams. Likely back after the Tipp match.

Cork have had friendlies last night and tonight.

[quote=“Turenne”]Chris Murphy has temporarily withdrawn from the Cork Senior Hurling squad due to illness/exams. Likely back after the Tipp match.

Cork have had friendlies last night and tonight.[/QUOTE]

so what?

So we can prepare to take over the world again…obviously.:clap:

Please ignore.

I guess that means Conor Sul and Shane O’Neill have the corner back spots, fuck knows who will be full back.