The Cork GAA 2009 Thread

Oh right, ya he’d want to get over that. Probably an excuse for some guys to get out. Some guys who either don’t want to make the effort or deep down don’t think they are good enough do things like that, kinda shifting the blame.
Its a cop out basically.

Imokilly beat Avondhu by 5 points, pretty weak Imokilly side really.

Diarmuid has officially retired. Didn’t want to play full-back, Walsh didn’t want to play him anywhere else.

really?

That seemed to be the gist of the indy article. I’ll put it up…

News to me too :pint:

Examiner in fact.

SOME rocks eventually become precious stones. A few are gems from the start.

Diarmuid OSullivan has three All-Ireland medals and a sackful of memories, but he knows its time to go.

"I loved coming down the tunnel, out onto the field. Its a drug. Its like youre giving yourself an injection, the light, the supporters…

"Ive given 12 years to the full-back line, and any fella will tell you about the pressure. Take Brian Murphy the pressure that man was under was incredible, marking the top dog every day, and if Eoin Kelly or John Mullane gets a goal, hes castigated.

“Ive always believed in my own abilities going out on the field, that I could do a job. Even on the poor days I still believed that.”

The pressure comes in different forms.

"There are journalists but there are also what I call computer hurlers, fellas on websites criticising people. Their opinion doesnt matter, and never has, but your family has that, they have to listen to radio stations reading out texts.

“Id have felt a lot of hurt about that, but Im a big boy, I can handle that.”

There was hurt last year. He nearly walked away after the Clare game but he stayed on for one last stand against Kilkenny.

"I had one thing on my mind for that game my own performance. I know there were images of me crying and so on, that Id retired I had no decision made at that stage, I was just glad the season was over.

"The whole thing, the pressure it was just relief that it was over. It was almost physical. Only for a couple of my close games I probably would have walked away after the Clare game, the criticism was so personal.

“Thats just how it is. In the last few weeks, for instance, Ive met people who were criticising me all last season, yet theyve been saying when are you coming back!”

He remembers the friends Cork team trainer Jerry Wallace (“The work he put into me was nobodys business”), his employers Lagans, his new mates in Highfield RFC (“Theyve been outstanding, Im sorry I didnt do it years ago”).

And his teammates. He e-mailed them yesterday with a simple message: theyd done it all, all together.

OSullivan is aware of how Cork are perceived after not one, but two winters of discontent.

"People will always have their own opinions. Mistakes were made on all sides, and everybody would admit that on all sides. Since 2002 people have built a persona up about this Cork team that theyre a law unto themselves. Thats not true.

“Its always been about getting better. Teams prepare to give a performance, but its different in Cork, its different in Kilkenny. Youre preparing to win because you want to win. Thats what it has always been about, wanting to get to the top of the ladder.”

Having his father Jerry as Cork County Board chairman was another complication. "That was extremely difficult, but only once was it drawn into the gutter, by a certain man who got a phone call.

"My relationship with him has never been anything but unbelievable. Hed be the first person Id talk to, for instance with this decision.

“Your family is your family. Im finished with intercounty hurling now, hell step down as county board chairman in a couple of years, hell look to new things and so will I. Thats part of life.”

OSullivan knows the rumour mill wont be long cranking up, so he puts his retirement into an exact context.

"I said to (Cork manager) Denis Walsh a few weeks ago I wasnt interested in playing in the full-back line but felt I might have something to offer elsewhere on the field, we had a conversation about it.

"I went away, trained with Cloyne for a few weeks and when I spoke to him again he said theyd reviewed it and theyd decided to move on with the younger fellas.

“Thats fair enough, I knew that was the chance I was taking, and best of luck to them. Talking to the players, theyre very happy with him, and I even said to Denis on the phone today, If you get these guys going in the right direction you will have the 30 most committed lads youll ever come across; this team can be very good for you and you can be very good for this team. I think they can be an unbelievable combination.”

Link.

Link for you Turenne-

http://thefreekick.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15553

Really? Don’t get the papers then? :clap:

[quote=“Pikeman”]Link for you Turenne-

http://thefreekick.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=15553[/QUOTE]

In fairness, I did check, but ‘The Pebble’ reference would have passed me by. And this is a Cork GAA thread.

I assume it will be either Cadogan or Gardiner for full back this year then. Hopefully Dillon will be given a chance next year.

so basically o sullivan said he wouldnt play full back and walsh dropped him…so he didnt retire he was dropped…some amount of insinuation of this and that saying nothing at all in the end in that article…and he has some cheek comparing that cork side to kilkenny not even sure what his point there was…and whats he raving about gutters and phonecalls for!!

I understand that has something to do with Babs Keating? Don’t know to be fair.

In fairness, he was very honest regarding not wanting to play full-back. Brian Corcoran did the same thing.

[quote=“Turenne”]I understand that has something to do with Babs Keating? Don’t know to be fair.

In fairness, he was very honest regarding not wanting to play full-back. Brian Corcoran did the same thing.[/QUOTE]

what did babs do…in fairness babs is always good for a a laugh…you do know he could be out in dubai with his son in law betting on the horses instead of staying here trying to put manners on over educated hurlers…:pint:

[quote=“Turenne”]I understand that has something to do with Babs Keating? Don’t know to be fair.

In fairness, he was very honest regarding not wanting to play full-back. Brian Corcoran did the same thing.[/QUOTE]

The phone call was to Bob Honohan i’d say, for saying stuff about him in a local free newspaper. I know Babs went on about stuff as well, but i’m nearly sure it was Honohan.

Tipp beat Cork by three points in the Minor football championship. Disaster.

Well done to Tipp, but unfortunately i saw this coming, as i may have mentioned back along.
The selectors weren’t at the races at all. I was at a couple of trials due to my guys involvement and their attitude to them was farcical. Turning up late, ignoring the matches, chatting on the sideline etc etc. Tony Nation played his son tonight at wing forward instead of Ger Minihane from Skib, there is no comparision in the 2 players, Minihane is streets ahead.2 players i know well, one from my own club and one from a neighbouring club played in 2 trials, i was at both. Our own guy scored 2-3 & 0-04 in the 2 games from centre forward, and the other guy cleaned out midfield, and i mean cleaned out. Neither got beyond the divisional part of the trials which was those 2 matches. Both go to Vocational Schools, its hard to believe that this could affect them, but it really could.
Now i don’t know how good Tipp were, so maybe i’m being unfair and i know they have been making a huge effort and i’m delighted for the football people up there, i know a few. But Cork had an excellent selection this year and made a royal fuck up of it.

Hugely disapointing.

Only good thing about it is that maybe this selection committee will be forgotten about, but i doubt it.

Fair fecks to Tipp-seem to be flying at underage football (and hurling of course). Almost won the last 2 U21 Munster titles and won the Div 3 League title. What have they been doing down there I wonder that they’ve made such a huge turnaround.

Could and should have won MFC last year too down there, tremendous to see.

It is good to see. I’m no expert on the issue, but i would guess forgetting about any lads that are on hurling panels has been half the battle.
Lets hop they go on and win it now.