The Cork GAA Thread 2011

I’ll leave the football up to the more informed Kev, here is a breakdown of things in Cork Hurling currently. The inter-county squad firstly…

Ins: Stephen McDonnell (Glen), Jamie Nagle (Midleton), Daniel Roche (Sars), Mark O’Connor (Erins Own), Conor Lehane (Midleton), Ryan Clifford (Newtown) Seamus & Brian Corry (B’Martle).

Outs: Sean Og, Aisake, Mark O’Sullivan, Anthony Nash, a few other fringe players that slip my mind.

Obviously the above is going to change over the next few months, and may not be 100% accurate regardless. Lehane is doing his leaving and will miss the league.

Shane O’Neill is the new captain, Eoin Cadogan is the vice captain.

Not much to say, Seamus Corry (midfield) and Conor Lehane (half-forward) are real talents imo - hard to tell with the rest. Regardless, we have two good corner-backs, a good half-back and a few good prospects. Going to be another shitty year. Presumebly the full-back line will be the same, Ray Ryan will be first in line for half-back, Pa Horgan will be moved to full forward and Pa Cronin and Cian McCarthy will probably make up a new-ish half-forward line with Niall Mac. Egan will be given a chance in midfield. We’ll lose to Tipp by a couple, wander through the qualifiers and lose to KK/Tipp/Galway in the AI series.

Regarding the U21s, the following will make up the spine of the squad…

Mark Ellis (Millstreet)
William Egan (Kilbrin)
Paul Haughney (Midleton)
Conor Lehane (Midleton)
Seamus O’Farrell (Midleton)
Luke O’Farrell (Midleton)
Paul Haughney (Midleton)
Jamie Wall (Kilbrittain)
Dean Brosnan (Glen)
Seamus Corry (B’Martle)
Darren McCarthy (B’Martle)
Daniel Roche (Sarsfields)
Michael O’Sullivan (Tracton)
Mark Collins (Douglas)
Darragh Rodgers (Brian Dillons)

They seemed well trained last year, good bit of talent there and are probably our best chance of winning a serious AI in hurling.

Regarding the Minors, only a handful of last year’s squad is underage again and the selectors seemed completely lost as to who to play, made poor substitutions etc. Doubt they’ll do much, but worth looking our for Darren Sweetnam (Dohenys), a very stylish midfielder/half forward and a pair of very talented U-16s who may be on the squad, Pa O’Callaghan (Ballyhea) and Michael Cahalane (Bandon).

In other news, Brian Hartnett of Russell Rovers is supposed to be taking a couple of years out and then joining Midleton.

Finally, the ‘season’ kicks off next Sunday, with a best XV from the Mon (including Sean Og) playing Cork.

FFS :rolleyes:

cork gaa is dead to me. i really am beyond giving a fuck anymore.

Amen to that

if he really wants to leave and refuses to play for his club anymore, why won’t they just give him the transfer and be done with it

Taking a couple of years out is retarded, it will fuck him completely. There is a rule in Cork, if you don’t play for your club you can’t play for your county. So thats 2 years U-21 out the window. I know he’s in UCC and whatnot, but what an asshole. He’s from a fine progressive club, i know they are Junior, but the Junior structures and standards in Cork and particularly now in East Cork mean its a great place to play hurling. On top of that he can play Senior with UCC or Midleton.

Midleton are no doubt heavily behind this.

Turenne - Talking to people in the know and involved in development squads etc, the Minor hurlers could well be even better over the next 2 years than any of the last 4 or 5. They are very hopeful.

The U-21’s have a very nice mix, but you need a bit of luck, Aidan Walsh and Ciaran Sheehan are expected to be available, that would be massive, that would be All-Ireland winning type squad. But a hundred things could change before that comes around.

For the Football;

Minor;

They have 45 at the moment, we have a guy on it and the feeling is they have a better squad than last year, but not the same level of individual stars, no Brian Hurley or whatever. Still with 2 teams getting out of Munster you’d have to expect Cork will have a decent run. Cork are always capable of winning an All-Ireland, but both Tyrone, Dublin & Kerry have large chunks of last years teams.

U-21;

With last years Minors having a few real stars and Sheehan, Walsh, Barry O’ Driscoll (wait till ye see him!) Liam Jennings, Rory O’ Sullivan again the possibilities are endless. Kerry are Kerry and could produce anything, but i don’t think they are particularly strong this year. They have 4 or 5 class forwards, but midfield could well be a problem at this grade as well for them. As well as that Corks management is more experienced and a bit sharper than Kerry’s, and all Kerrys best players play in Cork all the time with CIT & UCC, they know them well. Tipp are the champs and have a nice few left i think, and don’t fear Cork. Limerick and Waterford aren’t bad this year either, so it will be an interesting one. Cork have the best squad in Munster though, and along with Dublin and Mayo should be the main challengers to Tyrone who won this All-Ireland at Minor, as well as last years Minor. Tyrone must be All-Ireland favourites.

Senior;

Well where to start. Another All-Ireland is what is needed really, and i honestly believe Cork will be even better this year. But, so will Kerry as they’ll surely sort out some system for midfield. I expect Tyrone to start blooding some young players and could be dangerous if they use their squad and older guys wisely. If they go out and try to stick with 13-14 of the same team from the start it won’t work, they’ll get run off the pitch. I expect Dublin to be a real force, and expect more from Kildare, Down, Mayo, Meath & Donegal.
The team for sunday against will be interesting, this is last weeks team from a challenge game. Certainly they are looking at the club championship and giving guys their shot, some of these guys only played Junior this year and not even divisional Senior, but are good players. I’ve bolded realistic panal options.
Lordan (B’Collig)
John McLoughlin(Kanturk), Mike Mennis(Carbery Rangers), Ian Jones(B’Town)
Denis Murphy(Clon), Rory O’Sullivan(Ballinascarty), Denis O’Sullivan(Clon)
Eoin Keane(Barrs) Sean Nagle (Clon)
Matthew Dilworth(Knocknagree), Carthach Keane(Newcestown), Colm O’Driscoll(Cahragh)
Jason Sexton(Barrs), David Gould(Macroom), Mark Cronin (Gabriels)

Other than that the U-21’s (not involved bar 2 above) there won’t be massive change. Derek Kavanagh is a big loss, despite what some idiots here like to think. He gave John Galvin plenty of it last year, and came on a few times to throw his weight around. I’d expect Kevin McMahon, who is kinda forgotten about, to make a big push as well.

I think Cork are bruised enough because of a perceived lack of respect from last years win to have a real hunger again, and competition for places even on the panel will be unreal. They are a commited bunch in any case and are used to winning, can’t see that changing.

I expect Cork to win the All-Ireland, and Ciaran Sheehan to be POTY.

I hurled freshers against McInerney and Gaffeny, that was back 2005/2006, christ they are pulling the piss down there…6th year in LIT

double post

Better than unemployment i suppose. A massive amount of GAA players have gone back to college or are extending college, only thing keeping them in Ireland.

wouldn’t be against that, but wasn’t there some law brought in 5 or so yeara ago with far stricter conditions for Fitz eligability and only being able to play it so many years etc, maybe they have relaxed it in the current economic climate…still fair play to any man that could stick 6 years in LIT

Whats your sources on the new additions to the Cork Senior hurling squad, i know a few of those lads and have heard nothing about them been on the Cork panel.

Largely hearsay Jimmy. I’m guessing you are talking about the B’Martle lads? The two Corry’s and one of the McCarthy’s played for a Cork development side recently…

Cork 5-15 LIT 2-14

By Diarmuid Sheehan
Thursday, January 06, 2011

DENIS WALSH’S Cork development squad breezed past Davy Fitzgerald’s LIT side at a bitterly cold Mallow GAA complex last night by 5-15 to 2-14.
A magnificent display by full forward Eoin Murphy was one of the highlights on the night, with the number 14 netting on three occasions on his way to a personal tally of 3-3.

Cork’s attacking superiority wasn’t just down to Murphy however as his colleagues on either side of the full forward (Brian Hartnett and Jamie Coughlan) also gave personal displays that shouldn’t be overlooked.

Although Cork managed to rack up 5-15 on the night the backbone of this victory must be firmly attributed to the backs.

Walsh will be delighted with his rearguard players. Most impressive in the defensive third was full back Cian Fogarty.

The Killeagh man was sublime throughout and gave a performance that will surely put him in the reckoning when the squad for this year’s League campaign is announced.

Fogarty wasn’t alone in his tenacious approach to defending as left half back Stephen White also impressed the selectors.

Although to some interested onlookers this may only have been an early season challenge game, it was clear from the spirited efforts of all the lads in the Blood and Bandage that they saw this as their chance to impress the decision-makers.

Scorers for Cork: E Murphy 3-3 (one free); B Hartnett 1-2; S Harmody 1-1; S O’Farrell, C Lehane 0-3 each; D Brosnan 0-2; B Corry 0-1.

LIT: S Tobin 1-4; S Lambert 1-3; B Gaffney 0-4; P O’Brien 0-2; P Brown 0-1.

CORK: D McCarthy; P O’Leary, C Fogarty, J O’Callaghan; S White, M Ellis, S Corry; D O’Sullivan, S O’Farrell; C Lehane, B Corry, D Brosnan; J Coughlan, E Murphy, B Hartnett.

Subs: S Harmody for C Lehane (20), D Roche for D O’Sullivan (half time), J Wall for J Coughlan (half time), C Joyce for S O’Farrell (45), P O’Mahoney for S Corry (45), G Moylan for P O’Leary (45).

LIT: M Ryan (Tipperary); E Glynn (Clare), C Cowen (Tipp), C Cooney (Clare); P Donelan (Clare), J McInerney (Clare), J O’Keeffe (Tipp); P Brown (Limerick), P O’Brien (Limerick); W Highland (Laois), S Lambert (Galway), S Collins (Clare); S Tobin (Limerick), B Gaffney (Clare), M Flaherty (Clare).

Subs: B Glynn (Clare) for W Highland, P Laanders (Galway) for M Flaherty (Half time), R Kennedy (Limerick) for S Lambert (Half time), M Duggan (Clare) for S Tobin (Half time), J Riordan (Clare) for B Gaffney (45), G Power (Limerick) for J McInerney (45), C Madden (Limerick) for M Flaherty (45).

Referee: Dave Copps (Ballyhea).

But yeah, always a lot of rumours this time of the year about who is and isn’t in the squad for the coming year.

I’m with Fenway, you can’t let this kind of shit happen. Midleton don’t even fucking need him.

+1 They’d all be at it then. You cannot give in easily on this, not in Cork anyway the way the rules are, it would effectively over ride the rules if clubs did that. His older brother is a serious Rovers man from what i heard, so this is a massive surprise.

Where are Russell Rovers from lads? Would he not be eligible to play for Imokilly or whatever divisional team is in East Cork?

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a fucking tard, who spell Hyland that way?

Get off this thread you fucking loser.

Mac - He could play with them, or for the next 4 years UCC. If he’s on scholarship in UCC he has to play for them.

The divisions could be a fading thing though, very few put in the effort anymore as clubs are getting more and more demanding. Whole junior clubs pulling their players etc (disgrace IMO, but some of these fellas are thick stupid). A few divisions not entering teams this year cos of cost, hard to blame them with lack of interest.

I don’t know for sure the backround here, but its most likely Midleton are putting him up to this.

And where is Russell Rovers Kev?

shanagarry. they have being competitive at junior a in east cork for last few years and had a right good chance of making a breakthrough in next couple with a marqee player like hartnett. tom kenny plays with a junior club in north cork and it did not do any harm to his intercounty career. the danger with this development is that it will set a precedent. if i was a volunteer with russell rovers id be asking is the effort really worth it when lads go and do this.

when joe deane was minor killeagh made the breakthrough from junior up to senior. this would not have happened if joe had transferred to a nearby senior club.

this development on top of recent strikes has sickened me to my stomach.