The Cork GAA Thread 2011

again,
not disputing that, but it would be nothing compared to the interest generated from a senior success.

Obviously enough but senior success is relative to this too, if tipp were to win the 21’s next year it wouldn’t make a jot of difference with regards to attracting numbers at grassroots because their seniors are highprofile and they are doing the business at this moment in time but if the likes of Wexford or Offaly were to win a 21’s title it would have a huge effect at grassroots level

absolutely

I would say most of the young fella’s who hurled in the match the other week would have been taken to watch the Limerick 21’s side at the start of the decade when they were impressionable kids

Im coming at this from a player burn out perspective and what can be done to reduce this. Minor success would accomplish the same impact as u21 would it not?

not really, as games are played a curtain raisers as the year goes on there is less profile about them.

Obviously not, but realistically we could still be another 3/4 years before we claim a major senior title.
If it went that long then a lot of those children would be heading towards their late teens and may long since have lost interest.

That said the 21’s at club level isn’t run great in Limerick, the 21’s football isn’t starting till next month, meaning it’s a lot harder to keep those fellas who might be thinking about playing nothing interested, whereas if it was at the start of the year and our 21 team had a decent run, then a few of the young lads who wouldn’t be good enough for senior would stay training to play Junior B’s.

would it be that profile of u21s is raised by discussion on forums like these and in media as it is only thing supporters may have to talk about as there senior team has already being knocked out/not going well.

If there was no u21 and the fitz was organised in a slightly different way and promoted better, it might also get more kids playing hurling?

I love the u21 championship, but im trying to address player burn out. something has to give…

Might be onto something here, maybe combine minor and u21 as an u19/20 competition as was recommended by a burnout report a few years ago?

I would doubt it, sure what would an 10 or 11 year old or most neutrals care about how the likes of UL or CIT got on. It is all about giving youngers something they can identify with. sure how many young lads support United or Liverpool because their auld lad did as well. A lad of 9 or 10 knows he is from Clare/Limerick/Cork etc and can identify with that

true,
but they might care about how players from their own county are doing and may identify with seeing a joe canning etc. If hurling folk are interested they will bring their kids. Its all conjecture unless we actually try it.

yeah mick,
im just considering all alternatives

Burnout is always going to be an issue if lads try and take on too much, i don’t see why the vast majority of lads should suffer because a minority want to try and play every level in both hurling and football for their county and club. The 21’s is a great competion and most counties carry a training panel of around 34 lads and it shouldn’t be forsaken beacuse three or four of the lad on the panel are over extending themselves and for the most part the burnout issue is overplayed

Fair play to any lad like Aiden Walsh or Noel McGrath who are trying to give both codes a go but you can’t have it everyway.

dp

I wouldn’t agree with that. An awful lot of hurling supporters would have no affiliation to any college or University and would see no reason to bring their kids along to the games. A lot of people who go to games only go because it’s “Limerick” and would have no real deep understanding of the game, but love to bring the kids along to the matches.

The fixtures for all codes at minor, senior and U/21 level are pretty much set in stone.
At the start of every year a burnout committee should be convened in each county, examine the squads and look at where their will be a potential over-lap of players. Agreement should then be reach on who trains with what teams and how many times. I know each manager will want the player for as much time as possible but a quota or frequency of training sessions should be set and be rigidly enforced by the county board. It would benefit everyone in the long run.

it would never work and is an idiotic suggestion.

why

ok,
i see that. thats what puke was trying to say but lacked the vocab to do so :slight_smile:

Because it won’t attract the average fan no matter how it is marketed/structured. Outside of the diehard hurling fans who would be going anyway you aren’t going to attract anyone new. Just look at how the railway cup has died off.

The fitz is a great competition but aside from lads who are/have been involved in college hurling and lads with a serious interest in hurling it doesn’t attract any of the bandwagon fans and won’t either as they can’t relate to the sides involved