The Daddy Thread

My young lad was same at that age.

5 Likes

The beauty of sport is that it takes us on a rollercoaster of emotions in a way that life seldom does without it. Savage highs and lows that we will, hopefully, only experience rarely in normal life are common place in a year of sport.

We play a bit of astro in the winter and itā€™s great craic. Serious as in youā€™d be trying your best, but forgotten about immediately afterwards and not worried about before hand. Heā€™s right about that. Pure sport, just because, is class.

Soccer on the lawn at home with your mates. Iā€™ve great memories of all Ireland finals where Limerick were never involved, we would all go to the grandfatherā€™s to watch it and then puck around in his yard at half time. Priceless.

As I am now at the end of my playing days, not that it ever went very high, I do find a new appreciation for it. The craic the camaraderie that you just donā€™t get outside of it.

When you are in it, it takes over life and blocks weekends youā€™d have rathered be elsewhere or going training of a wet night in winter with games miles away and zero interest. Thereā€™s a fun in it that you only appreciate afterwards I think. When you are out of it you are completely out of the loop

5 Likes

Youā€™re not too old for ballet kid

Ok Poindexter

1 Like

That is absolute rubbish. The u30 lads didnā€™t talk to us for a month after we destroyed them in the Christmas match.

1 Like

We had a lad last season who was shoving the cones down his jocks and on his head. He was unmanageable.
Hes an absolute animal now. Prob one of the best tacklers on the team and a brilliant hand passer. His father who has no gaa background experience brings him out twice a week before our training.

1 Like

And we will never play them again

1 Like

I reckon I have a few more years of division three Desmond league soccer in me. The yard in your head works in the soccer. In the football, the yard needs to be in your legs :smile:

Iā€™ll play a bit of junior b this year if needed.

Body is giving out on me though, not that Iā€™m doing anything to help it

1 Like

Stick to the quips!

Iā€™ll quip you

Ye must have a serious Junior B team. Or a dadā€™s army 1st team. But it doesnā€™t bode overly well for the next few years if the over 30ā€™s are beating the undersšŸ˜‚

1 Like

We declared the future of the club as very bleak after we bossed them off the field. They had offered a 2 goal head start in advance of the match, which we refused.

It was soccer. We bullied them mentally and physically. They wanted to give us a 2 goal head start. Couldnā€™t imagine how weā€™d bate them. Absolutely sickened them. Twas glorious. Over 30s is generous too. Over 35s for the most part

2 Likes

Happy Fatherā€™s Day to all the Dads here and the ones doing it on their own at times. Enjoy the burnt toast and being let watch Euro/round robin matches with your beloved child on your knee.

5 Likes

Sheā€™ll be like her father so

4 Likes

My young lad is 8 he has ADHD. And touch of autism Iā€™d say too. Finds absolutely everything harder than the average lad, school, friendships the lot. He gets there with everything but itā€™s all a challenge. Heā€™s seriously hyper and can get overwhelmed and angry very easy.
Fact that he is athletic means sport could be an area of strength for him as heā€™s likely to struggle in school.
Heā€™s a very fast runner and won a few medals in local community games.
With soccer he just keeps kicking with his toe so I left him out of it. Plays football and hurling and has a great kick out of his hands and strike off the ground on both sides but simply cannot rise the ball properly in either sport or read the game during matches to get on the ball. Starting to run around ā€˜tacklingā€™. Sometimes is really anxious and wonā€™t join in but loves it when he does. Iā€™d love him to take an interest in watching sport even but he hasnā€™t a bulls notion. He watched italy match tonight with me and kept roaring at the telly for the blues and calling the Albanians bullies when they fouled. Heā€™s very immature but thatā€™s a thing with ADHD.
Not sure what my point is really but would like to hear tales of fellas who thrived late or who it all just clicked with. Or if any of the rest of ye have lads with similar challenges.

30 Likes

Jesus, whatā€™s he like?

A chap I used to be friendly with in a past life has a kid - adult at this stage - with Adhd and he put him into kickboxing and martial arts young and he really thrived. Team sports donā€™t always go well with adhd ā€¦ And the routine and structure of martial arts, where heā€™ll be kinda up against himself, probably suit more. Iā€™m sure itā€™s tough when you just want your own to be into the stuff you are that you can bond overā€¦ But thereā€™s tonnes of other activities heā€™ll thrive at.

5 Likes

I envy so many of you above. One of our crew was retired this week. It goes by so quickly.

3 Likes

No solid advice, I have a similar kid in many ways, sport never worked for her , she loves horses so we paid for lessons, sheā€™s comfortable in the group there and helps out at the riding centre now sometimes.

When the shit hits the fan let him know that youā€™ve always got his back, talk calmly when heā€™s frustrated, give him plenty of hugs, tight ones if ye need it, the pressure can be good.
Good luck, youā€™re doing a great job

9 Likes