The Daily Debate 25-03-2020 - Limerick v Waterford v Cork

Completely agree, I don’t know why anyone has time for him.

Not worth it really, I’m not sure I ever enjoyed a rivalry as much as Cork/Waterford in the 00s, I have some great pals from the Deise and loved those days, particularly in Thurles though all the games melt into one for me, they were very unlucky to coincide with what were two great teams in Cork and Kilkenny, I don’t think they were ever the best team in Ireland at any juncture.
Hurling in the mid 90s was super competitive but hardly a golden age for quality, Limerick were no better than what was out there at the time, could have won one but can have no complaints, Clare were the team of that era and got their 2

1 Like

Ah he’s a grand fella and all that but in terms of what’s needed to win all Ireland’s as a manager he wouldn’t be my idea anyway. I think the hip and whip crew have a fondness for him.

They ran out of the dressing room too fast. They were fucked from the off. It threw the parade off entirely.

Was “the roar” not an issue at all?

If you look at cork’s underage record since the early 2000’s and their club’s fortunes over that period it could be argued they have overachieved over said period

Limerick never had decent forwards. Gary Kirby was carrying them in the 90’s.

I voted for Waterford, kid.

Think that might have been his last game for Limerick.

Missed a goal by a coat of paint

The roar lead to the burst, which lead to the parade.

By jove, we’ve got it.

How many all Ireland’s did Waterford really leave behind them? One in 04 possibly.

98 certainly, 02 possibly and 04 possibly.

Another one of our major failings is that we got very jittery in games where the safety net was gone.

04 was the big one.

I would contend 98 was the big one. The evidence of 05 and 06 would suggest that we would have struggled to beat Cork again in a final.

1 Like

None. They weren’t that good just fan favourites, limerick were way closer twice but were a laborious workman like team with little inspiration in the forwards.

Both have fantatical fans (waterfords more bandwagonny) but none came as close to winning as cork did in 2013, but they weren’t any use either. A tough debate really.

Ah now, ye lost to Clare and Kilkenny in 1998, neither of whom won the All Ireland.

Snobbery towards offaly who in 98 had way better hurlers than waterford

We had beaten the best of those Offaly hurlers in an under21 final in 1992.

Limerick were worth a win in 94 - they played very well for 65 mins