The Dodger is in trouble

Front page of today’s indo

Hurling star’s €1.7m business empire in danger of collapse

‘Missing money’ at centre of big losses in firm

Wednesday February 09 2011

The cleaning business owned by hurling legend DJ Carey and his TV star partner Sarah Newman is facing collapse with debts of around €1.7m.

Creditors’ meetings have been called for three of the star’s companies, which supply cleaning and sanitation products to pubs and businesses.

It comes after the business had to write off €200,000 of “unauthorised transactions” which were uncovered by auditors.

The most recent accounts filed show that the business has been running at a loss since 2006.

The missing money was part of the reason the businesses racked up combined losses of close to €2m by 2009.

In that year the company hired an experienced accountant as a financial controller and demanded a review of how accounts were kept after discovering a series of unexplained and “unauthorised transactions”. At the time, Mr Carey and Sarah Newman vowed to “pursue the recovery of this expenditure in full”.

The “unauthorised” transactions were first discovered by auditors Carey & Associates in 2008, but the full scale of the problem was only revealed a year later by new auditors Brophy Gillespie.

The auditors said they “were unable to obtain sufficient and appropriate explanations and evidence from a former employee” about the unexplained transactions.

Mr Carey and Sarah Newman, the TV business personality and star of RTE’s ‘Dragons’ Den’, are listed as the companies’ main directors.

Mr Carey’s sister Catriona, a former international hockey player, was also a director of DJ Carey Enterprises between August 2001 and March 2009. She left the company and has since started her own cleaning venture, also in Gowran, Co Kilkenny.

Further severe losses are expected in the 2010 financial accounts. It is understood that despite calling a creditors’ meeting, Mr Carey has already moved to recover some value from the company and sold most of the company’s operations to Tuam-based company Western Hygiene last Friday.

It is common practice for a company in trouble to sell off the best parts of the business to raise cash to pay off debts. The phones are now being answered under the name of Western Hygiene. A spokesperson for Western Hygiene said it would comment on the takeover of the business in the coming weeks.

Creditors’ meetings for the three companies involved in the Mr Carey’s business – DJ Carey Enterprises, Alton and Dublin Janitorial Centre have been scheduled for February 18 at the Red Cow Hotel in Dublin. Creditors’ meetings are held to alert suppliers and lenders that companies face financial difficulties.

The hurling star pumped more than €600,000 of his own money into the company over the last number of years in an effort to keep the business afloat. Because Mr Carey has lent this money in loans to the company, he will be the largest creditor when a statement of affairs is presented at the meeting next week.

Ulster Bank is owed around €170,000, a portion of this is covered by a personal guarantee from Mr Carey

How ironic that he himself has now been taken to the cleaners, by his own sister at that (allegedly).

She really wiped the floor with DJ I’d say.

Pip took a shit in the bath,Tracey is motherfuckin fat,she’s fat,she’s fat the bitch is motherfuckin fat!!!

His sister cleaned him out (allegedly) and then herself and the mother go and open a business in direct competition to DJ.
Odd. Very odd.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 561909”]
His sister cleaned him out (allegedly) and then herself and the mother go and open a business in direct competition to DJ.
Odd. Very odd.[/quote]

Those are the three words I always think of when I ever see a picture of DJ Carey

It’s actually only two words Puke. The first word is repeated.

Indo Today.

Are they implying something here? Fairly pointless story otherwise.

DJ cash probe ongoing as sister stays ‘top of game’

Gardai are continuing to investigate how hundreds of thousands of euro is missing from hurling superstar DJ Carey’s cleaning business.

The probe into a number of “unauthorised transactions” at DJ Carey Enterprises is ongoing by gardai in Kilkenny.

The hurling legend, who has not yet commented on his financial difficulties, is battling to save his business.

However, while her brother is under pressure, Mr Carey’s sister Catriona Carey (32) is on the top of her game.

Ms Carey, a former hockey player who earned 72 caps for Ireland, is a director of a busy service station in Waterford city and also runs her family’s cleaning business.

Yesterday, the Irish Independent called to the Lindor Service Station on the Cork Road in Waterford but Ms Carey was not on the premises.

The qualified accountant worked as a financial controller for Mr Carey’s Kilkenny-based company, selling cleaning products to businesses throughout the country.

She used to commute several times a week from her home in Kilkenny to Irish hockey team training sessions and to her club, Hermes, based in St Andrew’s school in Blackrock.

But she ended up quitting her international hockey career as a midfielder at 28 to focus on her brother’s business.

She cited “work pressures” as her main reason for giving up the game at top level.

Former national hockey coach Riet Kuper said at the time that it was a “pity that such a talented and sparkling player” had retired.

“Catriona brought something different into the game and was able to surprise many opponents with her actions. She has a pleasant personality together with a strong willpower and was a valued member in the squad. She will be missed in the international hockey scene.”

Catriona then left DJ Carey Enterprises in March 2009 after almost eight years at the helm of her brother’s empire – before setting up a similar cleaning supplies company with her mother, Maura.

An old school friend of Ms Carey said everyone in Kilkenny thinks “very highly” of her.

"She went from being a shy schoolgirl who looked like everyone else to a glamorous sports star and businesswoman.

“She drives a BMW and she’s part of a clique of good-looking Kilkenny girls but I will say, she is a gorgeous girl and brilliant at sport.”

Earlier this week it emerged that DJ Carey Enterprises is €1.7m in debt – and facing possible collapse. Mr Carey and his partner, ‘Dragon’s Den’ TV star Sarah Newman, are the main directors of the business.

Downturn

The pair had to write off €200,000 of “unauthorised transactions” which were uncovered by auditors after a probe into missing money at the troubled firm.

The problem was first discovered by auditors Carey & Associates in 2008, but the full extent of the missing money was not revealed until a year later by new auditors Brophy Gillespie.

Mr Carey’s family is bitterly divided following the downturn in his business fortunes. His parents are protective of their family and have so far not commented on the matter.

Residents of Gowran in Co Kilkenny closed ranks yesterday as they refused to discuss the family’s personal difficulties.

However, locals expressed sympathy to Mr Carey on the debts his business has accumulated. Mr Carey pumped over €600,000 of his own money in loans to the firm and he will be the largest creditor at a creditor’s meeting scheduled for next week. Ulster Bank is owed around €170,000, a portion of this is covered by a personal guarantee from Mr Carey.

A GAA source described Mr Carey as “very decent” yesterday stating that he was a “real gentleman”.

"He’s not around Gowran as much as he used to be. He wouldn’t just walk down to the local pub every Friday night because he does his own thing.

“People see him as doing his thing in business. He’s not as involved in the community anymore but he is admired and loved because he is DJ Carey.”

If I was going to leave my wife and family it would be for a cocktail waitress, not Sarah Newman. Nothing in DJ’s life adds up.

Hmmm…

I don’t know why the indo are being so coy about it or reporting the story now. This all appeared in a Sunday paper a couple of weeks ago and it was basically said straight out it was the sister.

she’s part of a clique of good-looking Kilkenny girls

:unsure:

Would you?

I would anyway. I’d say she wouldn’t be bad if you took out the gumshield and dolled her up a bit

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF252/RP0025754.jpg

this was the best i could find

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF252/RP0025754.jpg

yeah was wondering about that alright when I saw the thread set up, that this was in the news a few weeks back about the sister robbing him.

ah fuck ya, runt

I think we should change the title of this to thread to “would you shaft DJ’s Careys sister before she shafted you?”

This one time, at hockey camp…