The Eamon Dunphy Thread

We need more of this sort of stuff

I remember when Dunphy used to do the last word he hosted 2 epic rows ;

Robert Fisk v Alan Dershowitz

And

Pat Rabbitte v Damien Kiberd .

Best thing about September 11th, 2001.

Just think, if those two planes had never been flown into the World Trade Centre and the towers hadn’t collapsed we’d never have heard Dershowitz melt down for our entertainment.

Luckily the planes were flown into the World Trade Centre and the towers collapsed, and we did get to hear Dershowitz melting down.

Any link to that?

“Ah don’t go”

The holy grail of links*. I heard it live and I think once more when it was played back on the radio years later.

*Along with footage of The Shamen being booed furiously by the crowd at Highbury in September 1992, when they mimed “Ebeneezer Goode” at half-time during Sky’s Monday Night Football coverage of Arsenal v Manchester City.

1 Like

Great to see Una Mullally get a trimming in this as well.

Has left RTE. Contankerous slaphead Richie Sadlier to take over the contrarian role.

RIP.

A sad day for broadcasting in Ireland.

Ah this is terribly sad. We’ll never see his likes again

Calling out Rod Liddle not just the greatest moment in Irish TV History, but the best moment in Irish history too

2 Likes

RIP…

It says he’s leaving after 40 years.

Did Dunphy not leave around the mid 90s for a while around the time he was doing the Radio Ireland gig?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6y4X95PUWw&feature=youtu.be

Hold on a minute. Was that over Rod Liddle attacking Roy Keane, something Dunphy has done habitually over the last number of years.

Dunphy was absent from RTE’s football coverage for a good stretch of time in the 1990s.

He had a falling out with RTE shortly after Eire qualified for the 1994 World Cup and didn’t appear on their coverage for the finals. He returned intially for the start of the 1998 World Cup qualifiers in August 1996, but then had another falling out with them within a short time - I think it was around May 1997 - he definitely did analysis for Eire’s 3-2 loss in Macedonia in April that year. That absence continued up to and including the 1998 World Cup finals.

Radio Ireland started on St. Patrick’s Day 1997.

He returned for good in September 1998 for the European Championship qualifiers and RTE’s Premier League highlights programme, which started the same month.

Given that Dunphy missed much of the 2002 World Cup after being disciplined for appearing drunk on air for the Japan v Russia game, he didn’t do a full World Cup for RTE from 1990 until 2006.

1 Like

Dunphy as an analyst will always be defined by one instance for me.

He was livid that Wes Hoolahan wasn’t picked for Ireland in a match under Trap. He complained that Glen Whelan got the nod ahead of him. Whelan was already shoring up an attacked minded midfield but Eamon didn’t seem to have any grasp of this. Brady explained it to him that if Hoolahan had to start then it couldn’t be at the expense of Whelan given the requirement for a basic structure to a team. Dunphy couldn’t grasp this notion regarding football at its most basic at all.

There were many moment of entertainment with him though. ‘I don’t want to address the Niall Quinn agenda - I think Niall Quinn is a creep. What I want to talk about is Roy Keane’. I also seem to recall him having a huge pop at Stephen Alkin and Ray Treacy before as they commentated on a match away in Romania under McCarthy - something along the line of calling them ‘clowns’. Them meant to be his colleagues of course.

He will mainly be known though for not having a notion of what he was talking about yet actually believing that he did.

1 Like

Ronaldo (the skinny one) - “he’s a cod.”

1 Like

Some amount of weird, boring bastards on twitter complaining about his lack of knowledge of the game