The Electric Vehicle Thread

You can get hybrids or all types of makes and models. Iā€™m talking specifically fully electric.

looks like gouging by ESB, its nearly double the standard rate. wonder if they ran the prices by the energy regulator?

ok ā€¦ iā€™ll go prowling around later to see if iā€™ve been hasty here.

Iā€™m sure some anorak will complain. Iā€™m not opposed to them making a profit assuming the profits are reinvested into the network.

Alot of women drive them because they assume that theyā€™re safer for the kids in case of an accident.

Iā€™d imagine itā€™s to dissuade people from jogging stations as opposed to gouging?

the standard rate includes a profit margin, so theres no need to gouge. as for the network, its in ESBā€™s interest to have a good network there for new customers and thereā€™s also the PSO for the network

Thereā€™s a balance there.

I was talking to a fella who works for the ESB lately and he was telling me theyā€™ll have to overhaul every power line in the country if they are going to put electric vehicles into every house. He said as it stands the nations grid would melt if even a few hundred thousand more electric cars were bought, and not just because they couldnā€™t provide the power (which they couldnā€™t), but couldnā€™t carry it down every line to the consumer.
He cited a recent case where two people in a small estate had purchased electric cars and were charging them overnight so they had to run a new line into the estate from the main line as they had fried the normal wiring.
The switch to electric will gather pace but it will need to be gradual because we arenā€™t ready for it at all yet.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s messed up when you think of it ā€” weā€™ll be grand in a crash but what I really want to do is poison you slowly to death.

Weā€™ll have to go back to horses.

1 Like

Sea weed fuelled cars is the answer.

There is some EU regulations coming in shortly about businesses having to have something like 10% of their car parking spaces available for electric car charging.

The horse and trap should be allowed to use the bus lane.

Tremendous!

I know a fella who was doing the ground work in a facility on this and was trying to figure out what is the best way to do it. Strike a balance between providing a service but also so that employees donā€™t take the piss. Charge a premium on what ESB would charge to try and put people off using it as the default charge was the logic he was going with to cover the maintenance.

They want to look down on other drivers from the drivers seat.

1 Like

Who is he charging? The company Iā€™m assuming.

AFAIK, you canā€™t charge employees for electricity. The chargers in my work are free. They can be busy but if youā€™re charged and someone needs one you move. Itā€™s self regulated by the users essentially. Get in early enough and you wonā€™t have an issue. Wouldnā€™t be anywhere near 10%. Closer to 1% Iā€™d say. Becomes less of an issue as the battery ranges get bigger.

No, he works for the company and they would look to charge the employees for charging to cover the cost and maintenance of the charging points.

Glad I donā€™t work there so! People will have to pay to charge their phones and laptops next!