The Electric Vehicle Thread

Is that cheap? What would a charge cost?

My car is 28KwH. So to charge from say 20% to 90% would work out as €5.70 or so.

Harmless enough. On the whole this is good news. Generate money to improve the network and dissuade people who abuse the free system from doing so.

3 Likes

How many kms driven at a reasonable pace does the charge of €5.70 equate to?

I am considering the ev option for the new year as family and work circumstances make the BIK free period of 3 years an attractive opportunity

150ish, that’s specific to my car though.

My car is nearly 3 years old now. Newer models with bigger batteries are out there.

E.g. Hyundai Kona

1 Like

Cost of purchase must be rising as demand rises?

I’m not really a car guy. So wouldn’t know the detail. The Kona isn’t a huge amount more than what I paid for mine. And despite media reports saying the opposite, EVs are holding their value pretty well.

What do you recommend in the sector? Nissan Leaf looks like the obvious purchase

Seems that Nissan & Hyundai have taken a step on the competition alright.
The Leaf seems a decent enough car for what it is.

Kia have one coming out too. eNiro. Which at the moment is hard to source. Might be more of them in the new year. Kona, Ioniq, Leaf, Zoe, eNiro, eGolf, iPace.

Kia also have eSoul. Which is a bit… Um… Hideous.

Them Xiaomi Electric scooters look great craic. :kick_scooter:

These 3 are really the only comparable size wise & budget?

I’ll assume the VW will be most expensive? I’d be siding with the Ioniq & Leaf as they’re on market longer & you would hope far less likely to have issues.

Or are all the manufacturers essentially using the same technology anyway?

here you go bud.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/252/1/012058/pdf

Golf a rob as expected.

The Tesla Model-S is almost quadruple the price of it for less than twice the power output.

Well Kia and Hyundai are as they’re essentially the same company.

Nissan do their own thing and use the Japanese standard for charging(Chademo) which is becoming less popular in Europe. CCS is the European standard and is used by Hyundai, VW, Kia, Jaguar.

1 Like

what price to save the planet?

1 Like

Are there any hybrid / electric jeeps / 4 x 4s out there …

South cork is riddled with women driving big guzzling jeeps / 4x4s … I’m WFH today and took Brady for a quick walk just now around my park and was met by 4 different women driving these big fuck off things for no other purpose than just spinning around. The first lady was typical of a yummy mummy - she was hot, tan done, hair done, make up well done … and the front seat was 2/3 Brown Thomas bags… (yes I saw all this as she practically came to a stand still going over a speed bump despite driving a Range Rover) … driving a big range rover in to get your cosmetics and clothes??? … Hopefully you lads put me right here and i’m not being overly judgmental, but she can surely do better here?

Not really. Kona and eNiro are sort of compact SUV.

iPace maybe. But it’s expensive and its battery efficiency is terrible.

So i’m correct to be angry here? This killer shares an estate with my little angel … she has to grow up ingesting the fumes of this killing machine all so this lady gets to look and feel good.

1 Like

11/10