The Electric Vehicle Thread

There’s a real Mumsnet energy to these posts

6 Likes

3 Likes

The Turfsla

12 Likes

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2024/0503/1447104-chinese-electric-cars-european-sales-buyer-wariness/

It’s not just Chinese cars, nobody is buying electric cars.Theyre going the way of the Nutri Bullet.

It appears the fellas in the EV’s are gonna have the run of the country with all these charging points going in and no one buying EV’s.

relax guys

Global EV Sales Expected to Increase by 21% in 2024

Not judging by recent visits to Junction 14 where I saw people waiting in their cars glumly for them to become available.

The last time I went in, had a Supermacs feed, came back out and they were still waiting.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

“18 months in ports”

BYD didnt even have cars out in Europe 18 months ago and there was a huge demand on MGs. More hype without substance maybe

1 Like

Turned up the other day to all the chargers occupied and one person waiting. No fear, five mins later there was a spot and off I went in for my Smokey Bacon Cheeseburger meal (large).

1 Like

That little bastard turned out to be a molester,came out years after the show ended

Cos obviously everything has to work harder, light heat,etc,
Irrespective if you’ve diesel, petrol or hybrid
Winter takes its toll
Plus cold weather means you get less MPG

No harm in having that large meal. I’d say the weight is falling off you with all the training.

Fading away to a baby elephant

The nGardaí doing their bit.
How long does it take to charge one of these Buck Rogers machines?

Depends on the year, but the enyaq wouldnt have as fast a ccs charging unit as other cars, but if it was to charge from 10% to 80%, it shouldnt take more than 25 mins or so. You’d get 50% of charge into it in about 15 mins, which would give more than 200km range.

Most likely its used during the day and just recharges on a slow charger overnight. Be surprised if they actually needed to use public charging.

Don’t be.
Without giving away location, this squad car is stationed 28km away from the nearest charge point as there is no charge facility in the town it’s in or at its station. This point is actually 31km away from its station as the one in town was probably in use.
It comes to Ballinasloe to be charged on a regular basis, followed by a regular squad car to take the driver back to work at their station. It’s left for the day and the driver is driven to collect it.

Thats a stupid set up so. Not having access to a charger where parked makes zero sense for anyone, never mind the gardai

2 Likes

Electric vehicles – the long haul

Sir, – With great excitement my wife and I set out on a seven-day adventure in her new electric car, purchased in Frankfurt, and driving all the way to Lagos in Portugal’s Algarve. A total of 2,500km. We had heard so much about the rollout of electric charging stations across Europe so what could be easier, pull into a service area, connect up, tap your credit card and go. How wrong we were!

Our initial experience on the French Aires app was good but soon we had to rely on our GPS system to identify where we could find chargers. Five times we were led to ghost locations – green fields, back alleys or industrial units where work had begun but no working charger existed.

Then we discovered that charging is not tap-and-go. At every station we had to use a barcode to download an app, invariably only available in the local language.

Having navigated the multi-screen app and provided bank or credit card details we learn that a proprietary charging card will be posted to us, but in one case, only after we submitted a certified bank debit mandate.

I now have 11 charging apps on my phone none of which will secure a charge. Our days began with a dawn search, invariably visiting four to five stations to find one that would take a credit card. Instead of being an adventure, this turned into a nightmare of stress and so many wasted hours.

To the mandarins in the EU and national governments charged with enabling the green transition, and to the leaders of the commercial enterprises tasked with delivering this service, shame on you all. You have turned the speed and convenience of modern technology on its head and used it to frustrate users and eliminate ease of use.

Unless you drive a Tesla, don’t even consider making a pan-European road trip in an electric vehicle. Instead exhort your regional and European representatives to quickly regulate for open access for plug-and-pay at all charging points. – Yours, etc,

BARRY QUINN,

Monkstown,

Co Dublin.