The English Premier League 2016/17™

Before Klopp won his first Bundesliga title - Bayern had won the title the season before that, Wolfsburg before that, Bayern before that and Stuttgart before that. So there was a period of flux, by the very definition of the word.

There’s no doubt about Klopp doing a good job at Dortmund but let’s not lose the run of ourselves in terms of hyperbole - no team had retained the title in the previous 4 seasons so the notion that at that particular period of time Bayern were the dominant force of German football is wrong.

Simeone broke a 10 year cycle of Barca-Real duopoly of Spanish football and competed with them on the European front too. He has overseen European success, bringing home a Europa League and two final appearances in the CL. Barca and Real have won 5 of the last 11 CL finals. What Simeone has done has been outstanding, very few can compete with Barca and Real in Europe never mind Spain and doing it on a sustained basis makes it even more impressive.

Interesting to see Klopp talking up Liverpool’s title chances, @ChocolateMice will be seething.

You could have taken Christmas Day off, seen as its already taken you 6 days to come back with this utterly lame response.

I’ve highlighted the initial post you made. I’ll spell it out for you, yet again. You stated, that - The Bundesliga was at an unusual state of flux when Klopp took over Dortmund. Bayern were not the superpower they now are and had many indifferent seasons. I addressed the nonsense that you were peddling about a supposed state of flux the Bundesliga was when Klopp took over in May 2008. You’ve ignored it and now moved onto a new line, a supposed state of flux the Bundesliga was in when Klopp brought up his first league title with Dortmund.

Klopp took over at Dortmund in May 2008, the very month that Bayern had won the 2007/08 Bundelsiga by an emphatic 10 points. That was Bayern’s third Bundelsiga tilte in four years (they won by 5 points in 2005/06 and a whopping 14 points in 2004/05). Throw in the three league title wins in 1999/2000, 2000/01 and 2002/03 (by 15 points) and its six league wins for Bayern in nine seasons. I’ve taken the liberty of looking at the Bundesliga roll of honour and its the only nine year era in the history of the Bundesliga which the same club has won the league on six occasions in nine seasons. That’s not an era of flux, its an era of Bayern dominance.

Quite uninspiring television fare in the EPL today. Sky Sports should be ashamed of themselves. Watford v Palace about to kick-off now. Thierry Henry reckons Big Sam will work hard to get Palace safe.

1 Like

I agree with Thierry.

Some cunt getting stretched off because of a groin strain.

Is “stretched off” a euphemism?
If so, I’ll head home now with a groin strain.

Clattenberg is a very good ref, great call right there, looked like a penalty to me at first.

:rollseyes:

The Space Monkey with some good wing play but commanding goalkeeping by The Octopus puts an end to that move.

Behrami now coming off.

I’d rather walk down to the shop and back in my bare feet than watch this game.

3 Likes

Eh, too late to edit that to “stretchered” off. Another Watford chap gone off with a hamstring strain. 13 minutes gone and 2 subs used. This will impact them over the upcoming festive fixtures what with the quick turnaround between games, growing injury list and fatigue of available players.

1 Like

I’m watching under silent protest. I’d be happy enough if my auld lad arrived in and asked to watch the horse racing.

Benteke is shit.

Kebab with the opener.

Hon Big Sam.

I’m watching George Michael music videos and re-evaluating his merits as an artist. The only reason I’m doing this is because he died last night.

Given this fact, the emotional environment is making my judgement very favourable towards George’s music.

Not being a religious person, I find the mourning of celebrities that I had no particular interest in makes up for the lack of real spirituality in my life.

2 Likes

Auld lad is back and we we’re watching 12.55pm from Limerick on ATR. I got to see Cabaye’s goal at Vicarage Road before the channel switch. He says he’s going down to the bookies in a while so I might have to watch the second half of the football. :angry:

2 Likes

Pelanty.

Penalty. Gomes has to go.

The Octopus saves.