The English Premier League 2016/17™

Edited

1 Like

There were doubts expressed about Conte from any number of posters after Chelsea were hammered at Woolwich, following on from the home loss to Liverpool and the draw at Swansea. What has @Rocko done to the discussion that took place about Conte after Chelsea lost 3-0 at Woolwich on 24 September? They don’t appear to have survived the merger of the two EPL threads. There’s seems to be two weeks of discussion between 17 September 2016 and 2 October 2016 between posts 433 and 435 on the merged thread gone missing.

You told us he was being found out in a serious footballing environment.

Do you now care to revise that opinion?

He was being found out in the serious footballing environment of the EPL. I made a comment on a match, in fact a series of three consecutive matches. It was an unremarkable and correct comment as Chelsea were awful in losing 3-0 to Woolwich, the home loss to Liverpool and in the second half when drawing at Swansea. Conte was exposed in those games to such an extent he had to tear up the script, change the formation and go with something different.

I’ll ask again as you seem to have avoided answering the question.

Do you care to revise your initial opinion of Conte?

Would you also apply the same criticism to Klopp who has failed to win in his last three games, including two matches against two of the bottom four? Is he being found out in a serious football environment?

I’m not avoiding any questions. That’s your forte. The views I expressed on Conte on 24 September after they lost 3-0 at Woolwich were unremarkable and correct. He was being found out at that point in time.

I’ll ask for the third time as you have not answered the question.

Do you care to revise your initial opinion on Conte, in that he was being found out in a serious football environment?

Do you also care to apply your logic, based on Conte taking 1 point from three games (two of those games being the sides who occupy 2nd and 4th in the table right now) to Klopp who has taken 2 points from his last 3 games (with none of those sides being in the top 4 but two of them actually being in the bottom 4)? This would mean that you feel Klopp is getting found out in a serious football environment.

Oooft.

Oooft,

Eeek.

Shudder.

Hey Boycott.

Go get your shovel, you have some more digging to do.

An almighty clamping being dished out here.

Geoff will be off preparing for another marathon soon…

I wasn’t the only one who correctly observed that Conte was getting found out after the 3-0 defeat at Woolwich on 24 September. Contributors of the stature of @Fagan_ODowd, @Ashman, @artfoley, @Steven_Naimsith and @carryharry were of a similar view. @artfoley very astutely identified the need for Conte to change the Chelsea starting XI, which immediately happened in the very next game. The comments of your fellow recent recruit as a Chelsea supporter @Tassotti weren’t really football related and were more personal and nasty.

You continued to write him off months after the 3-0 defeat at Arsenal.

Now, do you care to revise your initial opinion on him?

Do you also care to apply your logic to Klopp?

:laughing:

You even wrote him off in November, Boycott.

Do you still write him off?

Will you continue to write him off when he has the league won?

You are not comparing like with like in comparing what Klopp inherited at Liverpool and what Conte inherited at Chelsea.

Conte is managing probably the most successful club in England over the last near 13 years, since Abramovich assumed control - a club with financial resources and muscle at its disposal that dwarfs everyone else in the league bar the two Manchesters. Prior to the players downing tools on Mourinho last season, Chelsea had 13 seasons of continuous European Cup football. The last season in which largely the same group of players were arsed enough to try, they won the league by 8 points - two seasons ago in 2014/15. I am record some weeks back in acknowledging the role and good man management skills of Conte in getting two troublesome characters like Hazard and Costa onside.

Bottom line for Conte is if he doesn’t deliver a league title, he’ll be the 11th manager fired by Abramovich in 13 years. Klopp is in a different position. Klopp inherited a fallen giant still emerging from the shambles of the Gillett/Hicks disaster, a club which in the last seven seasons has finished 6th (twice), 7th (twice) and 8th (twice).

Cheslea finished 10th last year.

Indeed, Liverpool have finished ahead of Chelsea in 2 of the past 3 seasons. So those excuses you make, they don’t hold true.

I will take it that after asking 4 times you will not answer whether or not you have revised your opinion on Conte. I can only deem that you embarrassed and humiliated at the predictions associated with you and just want to avoid the question.

Last season was an outlier, a once in a lifetime freak. Leicester City even took a year out from their perennial scrap against relegation/getting relegated to go and win the league. Chelsea players essentially downed tools last season to get Mourinho fired. In fairness, I wouldn’t find any great fault with them for that. You’d have some pain in the head having to turn up for work everyday for two years to listen to Mourinho, even if you were getting £200 grand a week for enduring such hardship