The English Premier League 2016/17™

No they’re not.

Why did guys like Pardew, Pulis and Redknapp get awards when Johnny Foreigner was winning league titles?

There have been 159 British manager with 16 winners = 10% of British managers have won it

There have been 47 foreign managers with 7 winner = 14.9% of Foreign managers have won it.

Clear anti British bias if anything.

cc @Sidney @Juhniallio

Post up the details of where the foreign manager was overlooked and we’ll put it to rights in the impartial manner that these things are always viewed here.

Did Ferguon get the award every year he won the league?

I think they even gave the cunt man of the match in a final once too.

11 of 12 times he won the league when the award was in opeartion.

No that just displays a bias to British clubs hiring British managers. The fact that only two British managers have managed to win leagu titles in 24 years says a lot.

Pellegrini, Mancini and Ancelotti for starters.

I’m not bothered one way or the other here as awards like that are meaningless but a larger percentage of foreign managers have won it than British managers have.

He’ll be holding awful resentments against them for not giving him the 12th.

Incorrect.

When British managers have won the league, only once of those 13 times has to award not gone to the title winning manager, it instead went to another British manager in George Burley.

On 3 of the 10 times, a foreign manager has won the EPL, the award has not gone to the title winning manager but instead to another British manager.

I’m not too bother, pal.

The stats read 10% British managers v 14.9% Foreign managers.

We’ll leave it there.

None of that refers to the process of selection, only the selection.

In my view Redknapp, Burley, Pulis and Dalglish were all worthy of their awards.

I’ll go through each.

Redknapp did a superb job with Tottenham to get that top 4 place in 2010. He took over when Tottenham were in the relegation zone the previous season and completely turned them around.

Obviously Ancelotti deserves credit for winning the league, as any manger who wins it does, but you have to judge it in the context of what he was working with, which was a team which had reached a Champions League final in 2008 and came agonisingly close to reaching another one in 2009. Also, his main rivals for that year’s title, Manchester United, had been shorn of their best player, Cristiano Ronaldo, the previous summer. He did what was expected of him by winning the league, but he would have been deemed as a failure had he done anything else except win it. Also, he was the manager of what was at the time one of an even smaller coterie of just two elite super-franchises. It should be noted that Ancelotti failed in Europe that season compared to Chelsea’s previous two seasons, going out tamely enough in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Burley took newly promoted Ipswich to fifth place in 2001. That was an exceptional performance and he was deserving of the award. Gerard Houllier might have had a claim, but I was never a particular fan of his.

Pulis’s transformation of Crystal Palace in 2013/14 was similarly deserving, although personally I think Brendan Rodgers was equally deserving that season. They split the two managers’ awards between them, with Pulis winning the Premier League award and Rodgers winning the LMA award. That seems fair enough to me.

Pellegrini’s performance that season was similar to Ancelotti’s in 2010. Winning the league was the minimum expected at an elite super-franchise which had a team which had already won the title. City performed very poorly in Europe.

Dalglish certainly deserved the award for leading Blackburn to the title in 1995.

I’ll give you Pardew’s award in 2012 over Mancini as being dubious alright.

However some British managers who might have deserved the award didn’t get it. I’d pick out Bobby Robson in both 2002 and 2003 (notably the latter when Newcastle finished third and Manchester United held off Arsenal in a forgettable title race), and David Moyes in 2004/05 who finished in the top 4 with Everton.

Mark Hughes might have had a claim in 2005/06 when he achieved a top six finish with Blackburn, but Jose Mourinho won for leading his elite super-franchise to the title in a very forgettable race, and despite being soundly beaten by Barcelona in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Big Sam might also have had a claim for one of his top 8 finishes with Bolton but also missed out.

2 Likes

That would state that British managers are shit, with the exception of Ferguson, British managers have have little success in the past 20 years.

I’m not here attacking or defending either … I was just curious as to what the stats were and I got my answer, the rest is only semantics.

That would make you a holocaust deniet

No, i’m happy to trust facts, mate.

I just said I’d get it in there.

1 Like

I’d have given it to ancelotti but not the other 2. Mancini s team fell over the line and should have won another with a massively expensive line up.
Basically the league winner gets it unless someone does an amazing job with a small club. Most of those small clubs during that time have been managed by British managers.

Mancini’s team fell over the line ahead of 12 time winner Alex Ferguson’s expensively assembled team.

1 Like