The Fairy Kingdom of East Galway

I heard David McWilliams say that the biggest beneficiaries of the economic boom have been the children of East Galway farmers.

The aul lad and two of his brothers are in this photo of Killimor boys school from about 1941. Lots of kids without shoes.

7 Likes

I suggest we have a Sergio Leone spaghetti style shootout outside Woodlawn Station sometime next week.

https://youtu.be/fx15s_HAkgU

5 Likes

Did your oul lad, the sneaky future Dub, steal all their shoes?

1 Like

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/how-sliotar-replaced-the-rugby-ball-for-middle-class/

2 Likes

Did you get a copy the book on the history of Killimor produced recently?

They ate their own shoes they were so hungry.

they were looking for grants so their fathers hid the loafers for the photo’s

Then they ate their own shoes they were so hungry.

Signing in, in support of Mullagh / Gortymadden.

3 Likes

You lads still had the RIC in 1943?

But he surely means the east Galway electoral area, which we are all from, there’s more that unites us than divides us pal.

It is instructive to move away though, to see (especially in Dublin) that there are huge amounts of people content to go through life without ever learning a trade or building a career, just sponging off the state and/or the proceeds of crime. Unheard of in my youth. No wonder we run the country.

Tasty Tackies

As an Athenry man - am I in or out here?

Fall in to fuck

Of the 1,800 or so Irish rebels who were interned at Frongoch camp in south Wales in early June 1916, 322 were men from County Galway – a number second only to County Dublin. More than 1,100 prisoners were released from the camp in August, with the rest remaining interned until shortly before Christmas.35 Although the 1916 Rising was a military failure, it still gave realisation to ‘the dream of self- determination’ becoming ‘a reality’ and proved to be one of those ‘moments in history when a seed is sown and the old order changes forever’.

4 Likes

You’re in a grey area, strictly speaking you’re east galway (hurling wise) but wouldn’t be considered real thick easht galway, you are definitely east ‘minted farmers son’ wise. Whats your connection to athenry though

I’ve been visiting, drinking, eating and staying over with close friends for near 10 year.

Thats impressive sponging

In August 1884 at a meeting in Loughrea, Co. Galway, Michael Cusack outlined his plans to a group of local athletics enthusiasts to establish a national organisation for Irish athletes and to revive hurling. Living in Dublin at the time, Cusack continued the work of convincing others of the need for and usefulness of such an organisation, and he sent letters inviting people to attend an inaugural meeting in Thurles. On 1 November 1884 the Gaelic Athletic Association was founded at Miss Hayes’ Commercial Hotel, Thurles, Co. Tipperary, by Michael Cusack (Clareman, teacher, sportsman and nationalist) and Maurice Davin (a Tipperary man who at the time was Ireland’s most famous athlete)

The first meeting of the GAA was an attempt to keep historical Cleetus busy out in the fields instead of disrupting the ambience of this delightful town.

1 Like