The Fairy Kingdom of East Galway

So the GAA was actually started in galway… Along with the oldest historical record of hurling being in the statutes of galway. Its coming home, its coming…

3 Likes

Some of oldest paraphernalia was found in Clare, Sligo, north Kerry, west Limerick and Tipperary … It’s certainly a game that flourished west of the Shannon.

North Mayo is the earliest evidence.

they won the first minor championship but failed to kick on

mentioned in the Statutes of Kilkenny about 200 years earlier…

1 Like

Any evidence?

@Rocko Do you support the re-categorisation of this topic?

Edit:

Cheers @anon61878697

Listen - I could take or leave this thread … but as soon as those marauding huns from East of the Shannon start dictating what’s what — I’ll fight to the death for this thread.

3 Likes

here ye go https://celt.ucc.ie//published/T300001-001/index.html

1 Like

Horlings, what the fuck is that?

Kinda of open to interpretation, but we can all agree at least Tipperary has absolutely no right to its self declared title

7 Likes

The earliest surviving references to hurling are found in 7th and 8th century AD Irish laws, which describe various sporting injuries that should be compensated. Hurling is also mentioned in the 11th/ 12th century Leabhar na hUidre , while further descriptions are to be found in 13th/14th century romantic tale Cath Mhaigh Tuireadh Chunga (ibid, p.33 ) . This latter account details a very bloody hurling game between the Tuatha De Danna and the Fir Bolg that was played at Moytura, Co. Mayo. This mythical match supposedly took place in 1072 BC! (the Bronze Age).

http://irisharchaeology.ie/2011/09/hurling-its-ancient-history/

The first mention was actually in 5th century Brehon laws that were recorded around Galway /Tipperary/Limerick/Clare region.

1 Like

Throw up some evidence there please resident historian

It’s anazing that ye invented the game of hurling but have won so few All Irelands. It’s a bit like England in the soccer.

Signing in

The Killimor Rules mark the beginning of modern hurling, our gift to the world. That meeting in Hayes’ Hotel was only to get the Tipp and Kilkenny lads to put away their willow cricket bats and take up the ash…

12 Likes

Galway clubs are second in the roll of honour? Never had much time for the county lines ye brits drew up, when our clare lebensraum was taken we never got over the slight

:laughing:

You are too dull for these debates, I have no interest in spelling obvious stuff out for you, read, but don’t post

There is no debate, I’ll just keep laughing at your contradictions as they happen

The inventor or creator rarely becomes a captain of industry. It was more a desire to make a positive contribution to society than to conquer and dominate all before us that motivated our actions.

1 Like