The Favourite Provincial Stadium Thread

Didnt Stormont pay for Ravenhill?

I’ve been in SVPUÍC the three times it was sold out - Liam Millar testimonial, Munster v’s South Africa selection, Munster v’s Crusaders.

Windsor Park too

Joe knows.

Yep it’s rugby saving them.

The gaa will keep building concrete jungles they don’t need but rugby seem to have the right idea. 20-25k stadiums are fine in the main particularly if Munster can use puc for a potential European semi final.

I cant remember the last concrete jungle the GAA built that it didnt need. I mean I’d burn half of cork to the ground happily, but they already had a stadium that was falling down and may as well build a decent on to replace it. If they had managed it properly, they’d have been grand, but thats cork for you.

Any other “concrete jungles” built in recent years, anyone?

Any ones planned?

Anyone?

Casement

Hardly a concrete jungle? Also a much needed stadium. And going to be paid for by Stormont, along with a few bob from ourselves.

Not a concrete jungle.

Next?

1 Like

Its not really a much needed stadium.

Its never gonna be filled.

Ulster Finals can remain in Clones and Ulster Club Finals in the BOX-IT Athletic Grounds.

They needed to build puc either.

Not at that price anyway.

It will be a municipal stadium.

They’ll have to do Thurles now as well.

He said concrete jungle, Casement is an actual jungle at the moment.

That’s simply nonsense.

Munster are lucky to have access to the facility considering they have not made investment in infrastructure at the scale the GAA has as you have pointed out. The GAA should always bear that in mind when allowing Munster or any other franchise use of grounds.

The gaa can’t afford the stadium they built.

Munster don’t need the stadium bar maybe once or twice a season for friendlies.

It would be insanity for Munster to be building a stadium any bigger than 24 or 25k.

The GAA is not reliant on rugby income in any way, that’s just a fact. Cork’s finances may be a mess but GAA finances as a whole are not.

It has of course worked out well for Munster that they haven’t needed to build a large stadium but if the GAA took the same view where would we be.

1 Like

Whenever the GAA get stuck for a few bob they can just give Dublin a little less and we’ll all be better off

If the gaa had any brains at all when it came to redeveloping their crumbling concrete jungles they would have redeveloped Thurles which is central to a lot more counties in a number of provinces.

Instead now they are faced into doing up both along with casement while the Gaelic grounds will be done at little cost to them.

While large green field sites become more valuable the gaa is going to have any number of 40k plus stadiums that will be filled once or twice a year at a maximum.

It’s insanity.

As far as I’m aware and im open to correction Munster will still be forced to use the Aviva for the European cup semi finals and the Leinster home game. Mainly because the Irfu would lose if they those games went to puc.

That’s my understanding off it anyway at the moment.