The Galway Criticism Thread

Park the berlingo out of sight.

Middle street is an Oasis of loading bays though boss.

By the way, it’s passing rain here now and has been every time I’ve been out since yesterday.

Raining in Galway? No way?

I was in O’Connors in Salthill last night. Some boozer, best Guinness I’ve had in a long while. @Lazarus

4 Likes

Great spot too to score bright eyed cheerleader types looking for the authentic Irish experience :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was in Oslo before that, jaysus it was light and day. Zero atmosphere to oozing atmosphere from every corner. Oslo was full but it is just a disjointed place.

1 Like

The Oslo is an awful kip. Like a barn.

1 Like

It’s an awful shop, the definition of everything that’s wrong with Irish bars these days

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself buddy

1 Like

They’re probably one of the better ones in all fairness

I was speaking to a relation of mine yesterday from Cladaghduff, NW of Clifton and inquired about the Gaa in the area. West Galway traditionally being football country it was to my surprise to be told that Gaelic football was not as popular as it once was but in fact rugby was main sport in the region. What’s going on in the west of​Ireland?

Connemara all blacks.
Or all reds as they were known in the city.

It’s poison to my ears. Pre-heartland succumbing to rugby. This is not good and a bad indictment for the future. Gaa need to address this quickly.

It’s just that the underage structures for the rugby are absolutely first class. Organised, regular babysitting. The rugby club have done an outstanding job in fairness. Rugby is the glamour sport in Galway city also, which is just a fact of life.

I don’t buy that. The U21 fullback line and the goalie are all from Connemara, and we’ve got 3 in midfield / forwards from Moycullen. The Galway 3 in a row team from the 60s was made up almost exclusively of people from East of the Corrib.

1 Like

Seems like the Gaa have given up hope of counteracting it then. Fair play to the rugby lads who can clearly see through the gaa’s lazy half-cocked devil-may-care attitude in the region and are capitalising on the gaa’s complacency, basically taking over. Very disappointing for football people in the region to see football fade away. The suits in Croke Park clearly don’t care.

Look mate I don’t know what the story is. I’m just inquiring what’s going on way out west following on from the conversation I had yesterday. I was told that rugby was taking over, that is all I know.

I don’t think croke Park can drill down that far. At the end of the day, it is well motivated local volunteers that make the difference. Rugby was rapidly annexing oughterard until the gaa club reacted.

1 Like