The GGA has failed with Hurling and has lied about nationalism

Yes

Its the gga faults that stick hurling is only popular in the counties that the british landlords sponsored it

1 Like

Kilkenny and Galway are in Munster now? You’re a bit embarrassing mate.

The two exceptions

Hurling is an ancient game that was played long before the Vikings showed up, let alone the British. The site’s own historian @anon61878697 can confirm.

@Bandage could not agree, and would be outraged at the omission.

Incorrect

Hitting a conker with a stick is ancient, hurling was a game invented by the british landlords

2 Likes

You’re correct here. On a provincial level it is only popular in one province.

1 Like

I think there is a Munster championship and then 1 more championship played by teams from the other provinces?

Yes as far as I’m aware there is just one other provincial championship with teams from outside of there playing in it to try and beef it up.

1 Like

It’s very difficult for lads outside traditional hurling areas to understand hurling. Tim and TSG making a show of themselves.

Thats the point mate

I wouldn’t pretend to understand the game, but i look at objective facts on how it is organized.

It isn’t popular outside of Munster on a sufficient scale. It’s okay to admit that, sure some rugby tournaments have stupidly tried to organize competitions on a trans continental basis to make more money. Like the numerous GGA hurling formats, they’re largely failures. I am big enough to admit that.

The more interesting stuff from Paul here is the pretend position the GGA took on their role in Irish liberation. They were “non political” when they started out and promoted by British landlords, keeping everyone happy. When the winds changed from 1921 they pretended that they were all over the nationalist cause, letting little myths go out like Hill 16. They did this in order to worm themselves tax breaks others didn’t get and other special political treatment. They engaged in cultural fascism and are hugely responsible for the view of the Ireland post independence as a mono cultural state.

No, your points are that the GAA has failed hurling and the GAA had little part in the Irish revolution of 1916 - 1921, both of which are dubious at best and not supported by critical analysis in the former and actual historians in the latter.

Paul Rouse is a GGA historian. He says in quotations that this role was greatly exaggerated. That isn’t distortion; those are direct quotes.

Revisionist bullshit Tim. There was massive overlap between GAA membership and IRB/IRA membership in 1913 - 1921, in particular in rural areas. In reality, the Irish revolution was a rural affair, all the hotbeds of activity outside Dublin were also GAA strongholds and all the activity in Dublin was organized by rural leaders like Collins .

Here is another HISTORIAN describing this gross distortion of the GGA’s role. The GGA were over with John Redmond week’s before the Rising appealing for tax breaks from the Chancellor of the Exchequer. :rofl:

It is hardy a surprise then in the greatly changed political environment post independence that the GGA would latch onto the myth and promote it. The GGA were beneficiaries of unfair tax breaks that other sports could not get in the New Ireland.

2 Likes

Irish society has failed

Dev was a rugby man

Yes and he wouldn’t go to a rugby game for half a century for “political” reasons. That was due to the cultural facism that the GGA engaged in. Nobody wanted to be treated like President Douglas Hyde.

1 Like

@padjo’s silence is telling