The GGA has failed with Hurling and has lied about nationalism

The GGA must have had some power.

Have a look at a map of Ireland and circle the areas where the GAA was strong in 1916-1921 and then circle the areas where the war was actually fought.

The opposing opinion seems to be based on the fact that GAA leadership were not aware of 1916 and not many GAA members participated. Hardly compelling, given the confusion regarding the rising.

Cultural fascism is preferable to actual fascism which most of Europe was engaged in in the 19th/20th century, in particular your beloved UK.

What? Like Dublin in 1916?

What historians are there? Historians have queued up to describe it as a gross distortion in the modern day. It isn’t 1966, we shouldn’t pretend anymore.

Irrelevant and terrible deflection.

At least you are admitted that was engaged in though.

The pretending that is done is by modern Irish revisionist historians, whose motivation is to distance themselves from the NI conflict. It’s based on guilt, for abandoning the nationalist community in NI. The GAA is actually one of the few organizations who didn’t, in fairness to them and at great personal cost to many of their members.

3 Likes

Not deflection, Ireland engaged in cultural fascism while the UK, and NI in particular, engaged in actual fascism.

“The gaa is an amazing organisation”
“Hurling is a great sport”

Eh, how do you explain why it isnt popular throughout Ireland

Revisionism is a word thrown out by people incapable of debate.

Regardless, nobody is revising what happened in the WoI here, they are simply stating facts about the GGA’s involvement and it been exaggerated. Paul Rouse is probably the biggert GGA man you can find btw, interesting that you wouldn’t know of him.

You claimed that it doesn’t hold up to critical analysis or what historians say. Your entire argument here has been about drawing circles on maps, deflecting to the UK and disparaging a far bigger GGA man that yourself.

2 Likes

More deflection, desperate to get into an argument about the UK.

“Ireland engaged”, the GGA were to the fore of that. I’m prepared to say they played a very very important role in that.

You are confusing popular with ability to play a game at the highest level.
Soccer is extremely popular in Ireland, why are the Irish (both sides of the border) so shit at it?

Ireland are shit at all global sports mate

What crowds do fermanagh hurling get btw?

No, my argument is based on facts rather than revisionist nonsense.

1. The 1916 - 1921 Irish revolution was almost exclusively fought in rural areas.
  2. There was large overlap between IRB/IRA and GAA membership.
  3. The GAA was one of very few Irish organizations, sporting or otherwise, who continued to support NI nationalists during the “troubles”, when almost all “leaders” in the ROI were hiding under their beds or peddling revisionist nonsense.
1 Like

All of that is wrong.

2 Likes

How did the gga support northen nationalists?

Agreed

Go on…
you west Brit cunt.

Hurling in Fermanagh is a sectarian cesspit.

A PROTESTANT GAA player has quit the game over sectarian abuse by rival players, he claimed yesterday.

Darren Graham (25) from Lisnaskea, Co Fermanagh, whose soldier father and two uncles were shot dead by the IRA, said he was hounded out because of his religion.

He vowed never to wear his club jersey again until he gets a full apology, after storming off a pitch in disgust after years of alleged taunting.

His decision to walk away is a major blow to the GAA’s efforts to widen its appeal and attract more Protestants.

The Lisnaskea Emmets hurler, who has represented his county at Under-21 level, is believed to be the only-non Catholic player in Fermanagh.

Darren was just three weeks old when his father Cecil, who was a member of the UDR, was shot and fatally wounded by the IRA.

Two of Darren’s uncles, Ronnie and Jimmy Graham, who both served in the UDR as well, were also shot dead by the IRA in 1981 and 1985.

He said he was giving up the sport altogether because of persistent sectarian abuse from certain players in three clubs in particular.

Darren, who works as a joiner with local firm the Clarke Group, stressed he got on well with those within his own club and with people in his local community.

“It just came to a head. Something bad (was said) on the field: ‘You’re a black c***.’ Then another ran by and said: ‘It’s the truth, you’re nothing but that’.”

It was not until 2001 that a controversial ban on any members of Northern Ireland’s security forces joining the organisation was lifted.

But Darren’s religion and background never stopped him becoming involved from the age of 12.

“I just loved the sport. All my mates were going up to it and I just decided I wanted to play the sport. Everyone knew I was a Protestant.”

It was only once he started to progress that the harassment began in earnest, he revealed.

Mr Graham, whose two-year-old daughter is being raised as a Catholic, said: "I’ve been getting it from opponents and supporters. It’s been happening up through the ranks but not really bad until I got to senior level, when I was 18.

“It’s definitely because I’m a Protestant. No-one else on the pitch would get it half as bad.”

“I’ve been told Protestants shouldn’t be allowed in the GAA. I know it’s a minority, but it’s happening. Everybody knows it, but I never pushed it any higher.”

“What’s the point? Nothing is going to be done about it.”

The abuse has been worst during Lisnaskea Emmets derby clashes with local rivals, he added.

Finally, on Sunday, he walked off during a match against Brookeborough.

"I told my club I was quitting and I’m not going back until something is done about it.

"The last words said to us going out on the pitch that day were: ‘Enjoy it’. How can you enjoy something like that?

“The GAA is asking for Protestants to get more into the sport. But what’s the point if they are going to listen to stuff like that?”

Lisnaskea Emmets chairman, Barry King, who plays alongside Darren in the Lisnaskea senior team, confirmed that Darren had not made an official complaint to the club of sectarian abuse from opposing players. But, he insisted that it was not something the club would endorse.

He told the Irish Independent last night that until they considered the situation, they would be making no further comment.

Fermanagh County Board spokeswoman Deirdre Donnelly said they could not comment on an individual case until an official complaint is made.

“If Darren has an issue he should go through his club and then on through the County Board.”

Ms Donnelly did, however, stress that tough action would be taken against any such intimidation.

2 Likes

That’s appalling.

You claimed historians backed you up, where are they? I’ve given you several here.

Are you disputing that the GGA were there in 1916 looking for tax breaks with John Redmond from the British Government? Are you disputing that hundreds of members were there in World War I? Are you disputing that the GGA said they didn’t support the 1916 Rising in the aftermath?

That is all on historical record.

Are you disputing this, I would call it revisionism by the GGA but you seem to think you’re the master of that.

Just because you grew up in the old Ireland, swallowed the bullshit you were fed and then went off to the US doesn’t make you correct. You clearly are no read up on GGA history or you would be well aware of Paul Rouse. You got a gift of the Atlas of the Irish Revolution for Christmas last year and think you’re on it. :rofl:

Point three is entirely irrelevant btw, it has nothing to do with “1916-1921”.

1 Like