The Glorious 12th of July

You are spot on about Gilford, the demographic split there would be fairly equal but some very unpleasant and dangerous sorts due to its proximity to Tandragee.
Loughbrickland is different though. Main Street still gets fully decked out for the 12th but there are no issues there, it has a big Catholic Primary School and an Integrated Secondary.

4 Likes

Informative. I was meeting a fella for a work thing up in Gilford. They were two places I hadn’t passed through before.

Informative also!

Whereabouts are you @Halfpipe ?

Fairly close to both, but thankfully not in Scarva.

2 Likes

did they have the sham fight this year?

Sadly no, cancelled for the 2nd year running due to Covid. Poor King James is going to get an awful doing when it resumes next year.

1 Like

This decision by the National Broadcaster to cancel live television coverage of their cultural celebrations on the Glorious 12th does seem to be causing a lot of hurt amongst brethren.

1 Like

Its that time of year

Sheer lunacy. Weeks of hardship not to mention the inherent danger to assemble a bonfire.

It’s their culture in fairness.

Great community operation

Protest-ants

Have they no fucking jobs!

They’re employed by local ‘community associations’

1 Like

In fairness, they seem to have a foreman type with a high vis on the top directing affairs. Seems fine.

No

Safety is a key concern to be fair to the brethren

I trust the usual highlights package will still be broadcast? Always one of the must see programmes of any televisual year.

I’m very uneasy with the Orange Order selling rights to that awful GB News. Like when the Royal and Ancient sold the rights to the Open to Sky.

Jim McDonald from Coronation Street doing analysis feels all wrong, it feels cheap and tabloid. It’s like they’re making fun of the whole thing.

Walter Love is and always will be “The Voice of The Twelfth” to me.

2 Likes

Brilliant stuff. Earlier than usual 9pm throw in this year.

If you can’t wait until then to hear Walter Love’s dulcet tones he presents “Jazz Club” every Sunday night on BBC Radio Ulster. Nice. The latest programme was a repeat from 2014 which is a little bit concerning, given that Walter is 87. Hopefully there’s nothing to worry about and he’s just taking a break to do some diligent research ahead of the big day.

2 Likes