The Goalkeepers Union

another member of the goalkeepers union, albeit based on a part time basis. Usually when a manager was pissed off with the regular keeper and asked me to go in instead. Altho I did spend a season playing in goal in hurling, football and soccer. Great craic.

How many of ye are actually good goalkeepers as opposed to useless cunts that are just stuck in goals :slight_smile:

Is there a difference?

Runt sticking a useless cunt in goal is more harmful than sticking the useless cunt in corner forward. :slight_smile: I know when I was managing a team any useless cunts on the team were started it was always at corner forward so they could do no harm. The last thing you want is a useless cunt in goal who cant catch or kick a ball. :slight_smile:

I played fullfoward/ centre forward for years…didn’t play anything bar astro for the last two years.back playing for snr gaa team tis year and loving it…

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 771607, member: 348”]explain yourself Kevin.

I have played in goal for association football, but never in GAA, it can be quite enjoyable…[/quote]

Poor enough as a young fella, held me back at Cork AUL trials, divisional gaa and that. I was 20-21 when I kicked that goal and it was from the hands. My issue was off the ground

See my very first post on this thread. two penalty saves at the weekend. In two different codes no less!

Well I transferred out pretty well. Always played hurling outfield. I was slow when young, but pretty crabit and strong, used to score shit loads of goals in training. But I believe (the auld lad says) I was showing up the coaches son who was the other corner forward and I was thrown in goal. I was pretty lazy so I was happy enough. Stayed there for 5-6 years.

How good we’re you runt as a nipper?

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 771638, member: 273”]
How good we’re you runt as a nipper?[/quote]

Better than I am now :pint:

I celebrate penalty saves like Felipe Melo does crunching tackles. I don’t spring up and usher my team-mates away when they rush towards me to offer congratulations, telling them to concentrate on the game. Instead I embrace their congratulations, even when the ball remains in play, because a penalty save is to be savoured.

I fucked the ref from a height on Saturday after my save for which he booked me. Was never a penalty in the first place

Justice:clap:

Not signing in. My eye for a pass and box to box energy would’ve been wasted in goals.

It’s very telling how big a % of this place played in goal. No wonder its a fucking nuthouse.

Puke strikes me as a guy who has gone into goal cos he an hide his excessive drinking.

Mind your groins puke playing 2 games a week in goals. Know a few guys who have done it and all the kicking can catch up on ya. Stretching the hip Flexors alot is important.

:smiley:

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 771662, member: 273”]Puke strikes me as a guy who has gone into goal cos he an hide his excessive drinking.

[/quote]
You sure you’re not thinking of Rint?

ah i hear ya.

To answer The Runt i am an excellent goalkeeper but my no nonense style out the field was seen as a better attribute. I one stared down a Kevin Doyle penalty, threw myself majestically to the left, he tapped it down the middle…

1 Like

I played intermittently in goals at underage soccer and again at adult level when our keeper went to Australia for 18 months when I was around 20. Played a couple of games in goal in the Gaelic last year as a stop gap measure but have gone in this year due to a nasty chest infection meaning that I couldn’t run/catch my breateh for about 6 weeks from early March and am happy to stay there. The kicking tee does make a keepers life very easy in Gaelic football it has to be said.

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 771672, member: 348”]ah i hear ya.

To answer The Runt i am an excellent goalkeeper but my no nonense style out the field was seen as a better attribute. I one stared down a Kevin Doyle penalty, threw myself majestically to the left, he tapped it down the middle…[/quote]

Doyle once scored a screamer on TFK’s top stopper RTT.