The Green shit Party - Backtracking to get things done- now incorporating waste of monies by FG

It’s theorical bollox to be honest.
The aervice was there. It was the most valuable part of the recycling service. It was redirected with whats essentially a tax and now the blue bin collectors and users are out of pocket.

They are yeah. Why aren’t they collecting your glass there too? Aside from density, it’s also because glass had immediate value add does the PET and aliminium in this instance. Its the other shit being collected kerbside that has fuck all value.

Putting a value on waste makes people conscious of it.

1 Like

Incorrect when you measures the entire lifecycle of the packaging.

EU law now also mandates a responsibility for the entire lifecycle of the packaging on the original creator/seller. Its why coke etc got involved in the scheme- they’re legally obliged from creation to recycle which is why the qr code is used- traceability from cradle to grave

I did think the same but to quote @Cheasty’s favourite term “i did my own research”

1 Like

Wouldn’t think there will be much of a reduction in emissions on the normal residential collections anyway - trucks will still need to service the same households on the same frequency. Maybe a reduction in needing to tip the vehicles less.

I haven’t noticed much of a difference in the fullness of my recycling bin - then again we would never have gone through many plastic bottles especially to begin with.

I thought I was being gentle. It’s my first time using one of these yokes so maybe I was doing it arseways

Did you whisper in its ear before you slid the first one in?

1 Like

I’m the perfect balance of gentle yet firm both as a lover and a recycler

1 Like

Do you love cyclers?

I did not know this and it was my next point so thanks, but how does the traceability work?

You’re trying fair play, but I’m not convinced.

1 Like

Qr codes are generated for every individual bottle and can at point of creation. Theyre associated with barcode which, once in the retail enviroment, is scanned at point of sale.

When you return the can, its this code scanned to redeem your return. That individual bottle can then be traced back via the mixed bale and, from that bale, separated out for remelt and start recycling process.

Gives full traceability from start to finish

2 Likes

How do the Europeans manage when you can’t drink the tap water. They must go through tonnes of plastic while Paddy is standing with his few bottles a week for two euro.

1 Like

More space given bottles and cans are largely air when transported and compactors on back of garbage trucks don’t really completely flatten as equipment too heavy and would hurn diesel. .

Aside from hdpe containers like black bottles, rest of content is now likely of flat packaging, cardboard etc

It’s also a new scheme, there will be further market adaptations

Ah yeah, long term for sure there will be benefits - ultimately anything that improves the segregation of waste being collected is good thing. The grumbling about the scheme will continue for a while though.

Id imagine the scheme was well in the works before AI, recognition and robotics came along. Be interesting to see if would have still gone chosen path given the detail it can get to now for sorting

We’re on a boil notice for over a year. Going through an insane amount of bottles.

1 Like

And the government did fuck all durimg that time

So should a new type coke can end up in landfill coke get fined?

That’s the idea, yeah. Full accountability for packaging under Scope 3 legislation. Onus on packaging manufacturer (eg coke) to account for the lifecycle and recycling of their created content.

They have to pay annually for the excess that aren’t brought back for recycling/ can’t be accounted for. So they’ve shifted this cost on in event you just fuck can away. Scheme is mechanism to encourage consumer behaviour to ensure that doesn’t occur

1 Like