The Gut Health Thread

Does anyone on here work?
Make your own sauerkraut? I can barely take my fucking shoes off in the evening.

1 Like

Before jeeves gets there.

1 Like

your diet must be fucking savage, greegs rolls every morning and mcmuffins, you probably have arse cancer, no wonder you have no energy

I alternate between greggs and McDonald’s mate, and occasionally cafe nero.
I didn’t have any breakfast this morning.

its the coffee, you must be savage bloated and acidic

I must

anyone on Pukka Triphala? heard it is savage for improving peristalsis

1 Like

Eat shit @anon61878697

Gut instinct leads EnteroBiotix scientists to a microbiome wonder drug

Tom Whipple, Science Editor

December 10 2019, 12:01am, The Times

The microbiome, the diverse populations of microbes in our guts, has been linked to diseases ranging from bowel conditions to chronic fatigue syndrome

The microbiome, the diverse populations of microbes in our guts, has been linked to diseases ranging from bowel conditions to chronic fatigue syndromeALAMY

Save

Never has a wonder drug had such a PR challenge. Yes, this treatment can cure a disease that otherwise ruins lives and even leads to death. Yes, it has the potential to produce results in other conditions ranging from diabetes to multiple sclerosis. There is, however, a significant and understandable barrier to its wider acceptance: it generally involves ingesting faeces.

Now a Scottish company believes it has a solution that could make faecal transplants more palatable: by drying the healthy bacteria found in poo and putting it in a pill.

“We want to expand access, maximise patient safety and reduce the ick and yuck factor,” James McIlroy, from EnteroBiotix, said. “What we are seeking to do is overhaul the relatively crude way things are done at the moment and make it much more safe, effective and aesthetically pleasing.”

Faecal transplants are one of the great hopes of medicine. The microbiome, the diverse populations of microbes living in our guts, has been linked to a range of diseases. These include bowel conditions but also more surprising ones such as chronic fatigue syndrome. It appears that our body is intimately connected to the other life it harbours, which means it is important to keep that life healthy to keep us healthy.

When it goes really wrong, the easiest way to turn an unhealthy microbiome into a healthy one is to take a sample of someone else’s. “Faecal transplants are highly efficacious,” Dr McIlroy said. “It can be life-changing.”

EnteroBiotix is taking part in Scottish Life Sciences: the Summit 2020 in February, an event planned by The Times and The Sunday Times Scotland in partnership with Opportunity North East.

Faecal transplants, normally taken through a tube to the stomach, have already changed the treatments for sufferers of the recurring forms of the infection caused by the bacterium Clostridium difficile (also known as C.diff ). “These are people who have been extremely sick because of a damaged microbiome,” Dr McIlroy said. “The faecal transplant breaks the cycle and they get better.”

More than 15,000 people in Britain a year suffer from an infection of the bacterium, with 25 per cent not responding to conventional treatment, leading to lost control of the bowels, often to the extent that they stop going out. These patients are also far more likely to die of other conditions as a consequence. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 10 per cent of over-65s die within a month of diagnosis.

Now, thanks to faecal transplants, these people can be treated — however unpleasant it may seem. “Patients are very motivated when they are sick,” Dr McIlroy said. “They are open to all sorts of treatment.”

This is not the same as prescribing a normal drug. Donors — whom Dr McIlroy describes as “extremely altruistic people” — have to be found, their faeces rigorously screened for diseases and the sample processed, frozen then thawed, or administered rapidly. The sample can only be given through invasive procedures.

That is why EnteroBiotix is working to develop a better system, in which key bacteria are isolated and dried, without killing the microbes, then encapsulated to be taken orally. Dr McIlroy said: “The idea is that instead of a doctor finding a donor, screening for infectious diseases and then processing samples themselves they can just call us for something stable and easy.”

He believes that the company’s approach, which cannot be fully described for commercial reasons, could be available in clinical trials next year.

Ultimately, scientists want to unravel the mysteries of the gut so that donors, and poo, need not be involved at all, but that is some time away.

1 Like

I’ve made my own Saurkraut. I’m not really sure what its supposed to taste like but its not bad for gone off cabbage. First step to a healthy gut.

1 Like

only a matter of time before @flattythehurdler receives one of these in the post.

https://twitter.com/stormzy/status/1230437781895360517

Gamechanger. Unreal. Clarity of thought.

Wouldn’t be so sure mate.

You are very predictable and full of shit.

Like my bowel movements.

This is the business lads. Good kimchi is a must for your gut health. I had a bit there to combat the 6 pints of Guinness I had last night.

4 Likes

Where did you pick up that?

From Joe, Portmarnock’s favourite Chinese fella. He runs a fancy grocery type place.
I’ve heard before there’s a good brand make in cork that is only stocked in supervalue in the Munster region but they didn’t have it when I was in cork.
Any Asian shop should have some type that’s decent.

@Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy 1 Everybody Else here 0

1 Like

Obesity levels are higher in Spain than in Ireland, but the reasoning for that is expat Brexiteers I’d imagine

So the sauerkraut didn’t cooperate?

1 Like