The Gut Health Thread

Was recently looking at something like this?

1 Like

Looks the job… I’ve sourced some from local market but it’s pricey , 7.50 for 500g.

@glenshane has an easy DIY recipe that he won’t share

What would you eat it with? On it’s own?

Everyone is different obviously but what I learned 12 years ago is that you need to spot your triggers diet wise.

Lager and cold drinks kill me. These days I’d mainly have red wine, red ale or whiskey.

My diet is far better thanks to Mrs Croppy keeping us in good habits. The key is moderation. You’ll find it hard to avoid everything that triggers you like starchy bread, etc so I drink a load of water and use cheeing gum to keep me right.

The gum helps produce more saliva that will neutralise the acid inbyour gut.

1 Like

Yeah, or just on the side of any meal or in a sandwich.

1 Like

Jesus Christ you should be making that yourself. Easiest thing in the world to do and you can spice it up to your own tastes.

1 Like

2 cabbages sliced as thin as possible, fire into a bowl. Sprinkle a few table spoons of sea salt, mix and taste…nice and salty but not too salty. After a couple of hours it should be getting wet. Mash, squeeze, massage etc.
Stuff it into clean jars, make sure theres a centimetre or so of liquid at the top.
Open the jars every day to let the gas escape.
Its ready in a week.

Peppercorns, chilli, tumeric root or powder, caraway seeds etc all work well. Works out about 20p a jar.

7 Likes

Made an order there on nourish.ie for some psyllium husks. Saw that they had kimchi and sauerkraut too so ordered a few jars of them as well. The bones of a 5er per jar which seemed a bit steep but sure if it sorts out the issues I’d be happy to drink one pint less to pay for it. Will update in the next few weeks.

Disgust

4 Likes

Sauerkraut is delicious in a hot dog particularly, even if it’s just Irish sausage, nice in a ham sandwich with mustard, lovely with smoked salmon as well, it’s gorgeous.
You’d make it easily enough but you’d be mad, The supermarket stuff in the jar is as good as anything you’ll get, or you could pick it up in a farmers market
I like this one

1 Like

That’s the brand I bought.

First shaker botle of water and a flat tablespoon of psyllium husks down the hatch…

Mate, you need to stop trying to fix yourself by throwing money at the problem.

There is a great sense of achievement in making your own sauerkraut, kimchi, vinegar etc. Even better when you’ve made it with something that you’ve grown in your own garden etc. plus you know that what you are producing has been made the right way - a lot of shop bought sauerkraut isn’t actually fermented it’s chopped cabbage in cheap vinegar. Fermentation of food is a way of preserving food to last the winter in the same way that jam making is a way of preserving your own fruit. Using an autumnal glut to feed out the winter. We can of course go into a shop and just buy whatever we want at the minute, all year round, but it isn’t sustainable long term, it’s doing massive damage to the environment and sooner or later we should (even if only in terms of food security) get back at least in part to the ancient ways of growing what we can and preserving it.

10 Likes

I’ve a tear in my eye after reading that. Any lad not busying himself growing and fermenting would want to be taking a long hard look at himself

1 Like

Lovely in theory, I haven’t tune for all of that, I do what I can, grow veg etc, harvest apples and blackberries

But I might use one jar of sauerkraut a year, two at the most

But I get what you’re saying

I’ll be honest with you. I really admire you for the bee keeping. Id love to do it but I find the thought of it very daunting.

It actually boils my piss to walk along the roads in the autumn and see all of the blackberries left unpicked on the bushes and people with apple trees just letting the apples fall and rot. I’ve a deal with an elderly neighbour. I pick his apples and I make apple jelly and I give him enough jelly for the winter.

We were brought up been sent down the fields to pick berries and then we’d come home and the mother would basically have an industrial operation in the kitchen boiling and bottling jam. We lived on bread and jam between meals and never bought a pot of the stuff. It’s madness that these life skills are being lost.

11 Likes

Ffs. If you’ve no regard for your own gut then i suppose we shouldn’t expect you to have any regard for the planet, ancient ways or food security.
A minute ago you were slathering the stuff all over salmon, sausages and sandwiches. Now you barely touch the stuff. It’s fascinating to watch.

3 Likes

I use a small amount occasionally.
I’ve never had any issues with my gut, my health is excellent in general, I sleep well etc,
I enjoy it as a condiment from time to time :man_shrugging:

But wonderful that you’re keeping such a close eye on my posts as ever, staying on your toes so to speak :+1:

1 Like

I’d probably make a pot of sauerkraut in the time it takes to go to Lidl and back. Lovely mini work out too pressing it down with the pickling stick. I find it very therapeutic. I get lost in the project and it’s purpose and it shuts out any cares or worries.

There is a book called Sour by Marc Diacono that is an excellent guide to pickling and related topics.

2 Likes