The Ian Bailey is dead thread

Same here too.
I also thought he indulged Bailey an awful lot. Or maybe he was sucked in by Bailey playing the poor tortured soul bit and Sheridan seemed to lap it up.

1 Like

This was weird. One person saying how scared she was and she was in the pub an hour later shooting the breeze with the publican.

1 Like

I watched the first 2 episodes of the Sky one but thought it was dragging and Sheridan was annoying as others said. I watched the Netflix one then which was slicker and went through it quicker. Did the Sky one advance any theories other than it being Bailey? The Netflix one was basically a hit job on Bailey with no other theories explored

There was no mention of artfoleys hair of some other person under her fingernails.

I think I read somewhere that he cant actually move outside the state. There is probably a 99.9% chance that he would get shipped back to france if he did.(bar maybe somewhere in south America I presume)

Him knowing about it an hour after the body was found would have you wondering.

2 Likes

Once I heard he killed those turkeys that was that.

He did it. It might not be provable in an Irish court but everything points to him.

1 Like

Itā€™s completely implausible that Bailey and Sophie didnā€™t know each other Ć³r know of each other. They had several mutual friends

Thd Ungerers being one such mutual friends. Sophie called to them the day before she died, after being up at the Three Castles. Bailey knew them too and if I recall correctly the Ungerers made a statement some time after the murder regarding a conversation with Bailey about the death.

Alfie Lyons and his wife, the woman who found Sophie on the lane way, were also mutual friends. Bailey worked for Alfie Lyons as a gardener.

Iā€™m sure there were other examples Iā€™m leaving out.

2 Likes

Whoever killed her was consumed by rage, he or she absolutely hated her. I would say either someone who had a relationship with her and she broke it off or rejected them, or the partner/wife of someone she was involved with. Surely it would not have been that difficult to track down if she had a relationship with someone in the locality, or outside the locality?

The most damning aspect regarding Bailey was the way he downplayed his assault on Jules, it was presented by him like a fair fight, a bit of pushing and shoving. From all accounts he smashed her up, causing facial damage and hospitalization. Any man in the locality who could do that to a woman has to be a prime suspect.

2 Likes

Are there any other plausible suspects? The Netflix doc only focuses on Bailey.

1 Like

Does this other personā€™s hair under the poor ladyā€™s nails actually exist or is it yet another misreport?
The dpp seemed to conflate the independent witness report of his saying to the young lad ā€œI smashed her head inā€ which is a bizarre thing to say to anyone never mind a neighbourā€™s son, but may have been sarcasm, with his apparently drunken tearful confession to the other couple, which wasnā€™t at all possible sarcasm really. If they are credible witnesses, then Iā€™d have little doubt that he killed the poor woman.
Mairead Farrell can be discounted utterly as I donā€™t believe she ever saw anyone at the bridge, just wanted a bit of attention, and realised to her increasing horror that her original make believe was the main plank in the police case (the gardai should have probed that story much more aggressively, and this was lazy, sloppy police work, effectively allowing other witnesses to be tarred with the same brush).
She tried to get out of it by saying it was someone else, but I think sheā€™s just a Walter Mitty.
I donā€™t believe she was so terrified of bailey that she changed her story.
Bailey is an unpleasant and odd man, but most people in the Netflix doc were odd.

6 Likes

Neither documentary probed the allegation by Mairead Farrell that Sgt/Insp Jim Fitzgibbon whipped out his dick in the station in Bandon and asked her how she was fixed for a :dart:

Mairead certainly wasnā€™t the sharpest knife in the drawer. Heā€™s been incredibly lucky to swerve the law here but heā€™s paying a stiff price. Has Jules left him of late? Rumour isā€¦

1 Like

She has apparently. I think it said it at the end of the Netflix doc.
Mairead Farrellā€™s statements on any and everything can be discounted.

You would think that @flattythehurdler would have more empathy for Bailey. If a murder took place in leafy Didsbury I have no doubt the local constabulary would have the oddball Muldoon who stalks celebrities outside of Cafe Nero as a prime suspect

3 Likes

Hard to argue with that tbh.

The last witness on the Netflix doc who was at his house the next day, saw the scratches, and the coat soaking in the bucket seemed credible enough too.

1. The fact he knew about the murder before the press and 3 different people in the locality about the murder not long after the body was found.
  2. The cuts on the hands and the forehead, when her body was found beside a barbed wire and briary hedge.
  3. The burning of clothes a few days after the murder.
  4. The soaking of the overcoat in a bucket of water in his house.
  5. The attempts through his press coverage to divert attention to the victimā€™s former lovers in France and falsifications about her promiscuity.
  6. The denial of knowing Sophie when she had said to friends she was going to meet him.
  7. The lack of alibi on the night of the murder and changing of his story to sleeping with his wife to going out for a walk down the road.
  8. The description of the act to another man while accusing him of doing it (the timeline of this; he said 2 oā€™clock in the morning was and the supposed sighting of Bailey on the bridge was an hour later)
  9. The past history of violence towards women.
  10. The ā€˜confessionsā€™ of guilt to others in the locality.
8 Likes

What I donā€™t understand is why an investigative journalist would move to west Cork where there hasnā€™t been a murder or worthy news story in 100 years.

He obviously saw the murder as a way of making a few bucks but is that motive enough to kill her?

The Netrflix documentary makes it quite clear that West Cork is a haven for oddballs

1 Like